Even on campus, 'there are rules, people.'

“As everyone knows from Seinfeld, there are rules, people. However, one trip across campus makes it quite clear that many of our peers are either unaware of the rules or uninterested in following them. Anyone with the misfortune of driving to campus knows this.”

As everyone knows from Seinfeld, there are rules, people.

However, one trip across campus makes it quite clear that many of our peers are either unaware of the rules or uninterested in following them.

Anyone with the misfortune of driving to campus knows this.

Have you seen students, shuffling along, walking in front of you with no sense of urgency whatsoever? Of course you have. It’s as though they’re strolling on the beach.

Then there are the individuals who disregard traffic lights and head out into the street. Who cares if drivers have to slam on their brakes? So what if they have to sit through a light – or two, for that matter – so that these super-important pedestrians can get across the street when they want?

Another treat drivers are subjected to are those who traverse parking lots without a thought for traffic. You know the ones, the people taking their sweet time as you slow to a crawl behind them.

Do they move over to a sensible place to walk? Of course not. The world revolves around them. Hell, they don’t even notice you.

If you value your property, your life and your sanity, you’ll steer clear of the circle by the Arts and Sciences Building. There was once a time when drivers knew how to navigate this busy four-way stop. Those days are long past.

It appears the current rule is to tap your brakes at the intersection and then barrel on through with your eyes closed, hoping for the best.

Once – or if – you get past these idiots, step into the Rec Center. It’s like a microcosm of society.

Several men are on treadmills. They are barely noticeable as they chat among themselves. That is, until one begins singing loudly. He belts out a verse or two every few minutes. That’s fun.

When they are finished with their cardio workout, they walk over to the weights.

So after their sweaty hands gripped the handles of the treadmills, they just walked away. Right past the disinfectant spray and towel, of course.

Fantastic.

Over at the weight machines, it’s even worse.

One after another, people pour their sweat all over the machines. Once their reps are done, they get up and head to another. No wipe-down. Not even a cursory glance to see if anyone’s looking.

Even if you haven’t experienced this at the Rec, you have experienced it all the same.

It’s the Jimmy episode from Seinfeld.

At that gym, not wiping down a machine would get one banned.

No worries at the Rec.

The University of Akron is nothing like society, where there are rules.

It’s just campus. Anything goes here.