Zippy to compete for top mascot

“The college football season is two weeks old, but a select group of players have yet to hit the playing field–the mascots. Each year, these proud warriors dressed in furry costumes help lead their teams to victory with a variety of dances, celebratory leaps and taunting of the rival teams’ mascots.”

The college football season is two weeks old, but a select group of players have yet to hit the playing field–the mascots.

Each year, these proud warriors dressed in furry costumes help lead their teams to victory with a variety of dances, celebratory leaps and taunting of the rival teams’ mascots.

Yet mascots rarely have the opportunity to show which one truly is better. That is until the Capital One Bowl.

Zippy will be featured this year in the sixth annual Capital One All-America Mascot Team, which allows fans to vote online for the best mascot. But like any sport, Zippy has a tough uphill battle ahead of her and faces some stiff competition.

Facing off against Zippy will be Cosmo Cougar of Brigham Young University, Hairy Dawg of the University of Georgia, Goldy Gopher of the University of Minnesota, Monte the grizzly bear of the University of Montana, Cocky the game cock of the University of South Carolina, Seymour the golden eagle of the University of Southern Mississippi, Otto the orange of Syracuse University, Joe Bruin the brown bear of UCLA, Cavman the cavalier of the University of Virginia, Hokie Bird of Virginia Tech, and Big Red, the red blob of Western Kentucky University.

It was the coolest thing ever, said Eric Baker, one of the students who dresses as Zippy. They sent me to Vancouver to shoot five national commercials.

Most notably, Zippy will be the only female mascot in the competition.

These 12 have already received $5,000 towards their schools’ mascot programs and will be competing for an additional $5,000 scholarship. The most coveted will be the first-place prize title Mascot of the Year. There will be an 11-week voting contest, with votes solely determining the winner.

If the community and university unite, we could pull the 6,000 votes needed weekly, Baker said.

When playoffs start around Nov. 26, Baker said he would need 80,000 to 90,000 votes a week to keep going if he intends to follow last year’s voting trends.

In a press release, director of athletics Mack Rhoades said it’s great exposure for the athletics department, the university and for the entire Akron community. We encourage all supporters of Akron athletics to vote for Zippy in this unique event.

For students who wish to help take Zippy to the winner’s circle, votes can be cast at www.capitalonebowl.com. Voting began Monday.