Bosma's Breakdown

“Week one of the NFL season has come to a close, and after months of anticipation, it proved to be quite eventful. Let’s take a spin around the league, starting with the game right up Interstate 77, Cleveland vs. Pittsburgh. Wow. Browns fans, don’t be afraid to get a little nervous after the Steelers slapped you 34-7.”

Week one of the NFL season has come to a close, and after months of anticipation, it proved to be quite eventful.

Let’s take a spin around the league, starting with the game right up Interstate 77, Cleveland vs. Pittsburgh.

Wow.

Browns fans, don’t be afraid to get a little nervous after the Steelers slapped you 34-7. After an offseason of quarterback debate, and a training camp that ended with Charlie Frye as the starter, it’s back to square one, or two, or whichever one Romeo Crennel plans to land on to try and salvage his job.

Former Zips QB Charlie Frye was 4 of 10 passing for 34 yards, one interception and was sacked five times. He and his 10.0 QB rating are now off to Seattle, which is probably best for his career. Now it’s just a waiting game to see when Brady Quinn will start.

The New York Jets and New England Patriots squared off at the Meadowlands in New Jersey. Even though the Patriots left with a 38-14 victory, they seem to have their hands full. Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella had a camera and videotape confiscated by NFL security officials after he was suspected of recording the Jets’ defensive signals.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell determined the Patriots were in violation of league rules and is considering a severe punishment for the Patriots that may include taking away multiple draft picks from the team. Good luck making this go away Pats.

JaMarcus Russell has finally signed with the Raiders, and I’m not sure what took so long. The six-year deal will guarentee Russell $30 million, but even his signing won’t help the Raiders this year. Rookie quarterbacks seem to stray from training camp by holding out, but all it does is stunt their growth and NFL potential. IF you don’t believe me, google Akili Smith and see what he is doing these days.

The Indianapolis Colts, once again, have an offense that looks like it could put up 50 points a game, but the real surprise was their defense. Facing a New Orleans Saints team that has been glorified for having potential playmakers like Drew Brees, Reggie Bush and Marques Colston, the Colts defense allowed one touchdown, 293 total offensive yards and had two interceptions. If the defense can be consistent throughout the season, the Colts have a real shot of winning back-to-back Super Bowls.

The Dallas Cowboys hosted NFC East divison rival the New York Giants Sunday night, and one thing stood out above anything else. It wasn’t Tony Romo’s 4 touchdowns and 345 yards passing and it wasn’t the defense’s inability to cover down-field. What was most surprising was Terrell Owens catching two touchdown passes and un-eventfully running to the sidelines. Where was the celebration? Where was the ego? T.O. waited to display his look at me personality until he was back on the sideline. I believe hell has frozen over, and I like it.

Now, to Atlanta. Do you think the Falcons miss Michael Vick yet? Neither did I. While Joey Harrington may have been awful on Sunday, history shows that Vick would not have passed much better than Harringtons’ 23-32 for 169 yards and two interceptions. Besides, seeing Vick run around, lazily holding on to the ball as if pit bulls were coming after him wasn’t going to help the Falcons very much this year.

Chad Johnson promised a Monday night we will never forget if he scored a touchdown in the first Monday Night Football game of the year against the Baltimore Ravens. What we got was a 39-yard touchdown reception and CJ running to the sideline to put on a replica Hall of Fame yellow blazer that read Future H.O.F 20??. Now, I liked the idea, but I was looking for something a little more monumental, like his previous Riverdance and putt with the pylon celebrations. Ocho-Cinco promised more historic entertainment in Cleveland on Sunday and I have a feeling he’ll have a few shots at creating a memorable touchdown celebration.