Injuries can't hold Zip Back

“Tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in the knee is one of the most frustrating injuries in sports. Now imagine the strenuous rehabilitation that must be done just to get back onto the field, and then tearing the ACL in the opposite knee. If that isn’t enough, add a broken collarbone into the mix.”

Tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in the knee is one of the most frustrating injuries in sports.

Now imagine the strenuous rehabilitation that must be done just to get back onto the field, and then tearing the ACL in the opposite knee. If that isn’t enough, add a broken collarbone into the mix.

This frustration has been reality for sophomore Britni Back’s collegiate career at the University of Akron.

It wasn’t until this season that a healthy Back has been able to get onto the soccer field and showcase her talent with her teammates.

But returning to the field was a long road for the Zips’ leading scorer and last week’s Mid-American Conference East women’s soccer Player of the Week.

It was frustrating, Back said. But I just did it. I don’t quit, it’s too easy.

Following the surgeries and rehabilitation, Back said she was hesitant when she first got back onto the field and was unsure what was going to happen.

After the first tackle, though, everything was good, she said.

Back used her redshirt season in 2005 to recover from the injuries and came back as a redshirt freshman in 2006 to start five games and play in 10.

She has started six and played in seven of eight games this season.

Back (North Olmsted High School) has become a leader for the Zips in the 2007 season with five goals and three assists for a total of 13 points.

Seven-year head coach Catherine Byrne said that Back is one of the key leaders on the team.

She is a rising sophomore and is an excellent player, Byrne said. A game winner.

Game winner is an appropriate term to describe Back this season.

She has had three consecutive game-winning goals and has also scored a goal in four straight games.

As successful as Back has been throughout the season, she speaks modestly of herself, putting the credit in her teammates’ hands.

I’ve been in the right place at the right time, Back said. We’re a close team on and off the field, it’s a team effort.

Back feels that the strongest part of her game is controlling the ball, being a smart player and that she knows the game pretty well.

Byrne echoes those feelings.

Back is a go-to player for us, she said.

Back has been able to help lead the Zips to a 5-1-2 record, the team’s best record in the first eight games under Byrne.

For Back and her teammates, there is one goal for the rest of the season and that is to make the MAC tournament.

We’re taking it one step at a time, Back said. If we just keep scoring, we’ll be OK.

” #1.1361789:4267620224.jpg:back, britni_052-1.jpg:Britni Back leads the Zips in goals (5) and points (13) this season.:”