Tour pulls into Akron

“One might not expect that Akron would be a stop on a critically acclaimed world tour. After all, the tour has stops in cities in Italy, Greece and France. But for one night, Lines Ballet will wow an Akron audience. This weekend, the University of Akron’s E.”

One might not expect that Akron would be a stop on a critically acclaimed world tour. After all, the tour has stops in cities in Italy, Greece and France.

But for one night, Lines Ballet will wow an Akron audience.

This weekend, the University of Akron’s E.J. Thomas Hall will host Lines Ballet as it kicks off its 2007-2008 season.

The international touring company will perform a three-work performance by Alonzo King, marking the first collaboration that brings DANCECleveland, UA’s dance program and E.J. Thomas Hall together.

One also wouldn’t expect that tickets to the performance would be free. But for UA students, they are.

The company performs works by King, an American Ballet Theater alumnus, who is widely known for his expressive and innovative choreography.

King was a recent recipient of one of only four Dance Fellowships awarded by the United States Artists organization.

In 2005, he received the Bessie Award for Choreographer/Creator.

Lines Ballet will also conduct a residency for UA students in Guzzetta Hall’s Center for Dance and Theatre.

The company will perform The Moroccan Project, Following the Subtle Current Upstream and Migration: The hierarchical migration of birds and mammals.

The dance company, based in San Francisco, has performed for audiences for more than 25 years.

The company is renowned for its performances of King’s choreography, which has been called the most sophisticated modernism in classical dance by the Los Angeles Times.

The Moroccan Project is accompanied by African music, including Berber songs from the Middle Atlas Mountains, West African Gwana rituals and the Moroccan Chaabi.

Following the Subtle Current Upstream, also set to African music, refers to a yoga concept of returning to our origins by following the subtle current in our spines to a place of bliss.

Migration explores the beauty of evolution and the emergence of new forms.

Tickets for Saturday’s 8 p.m. performance range from $18 to $40.

Students can get two free tickets to the performance with a valid Zip Card.

For more information about student specials, visit www.eventsatua.com.