Zips to face BCS opponent

“The Zips will play their last non-conference game of the regular season on Saturday when they travel to East Hartford, Conn., to play the undefeated Connecticut Huskies. Saturday’s game with the Huskies will mark the third meeting between Akron (2-2, 1-0, MAC) and UConn (4-0, 1-0 Big East).”

The Zips will play their last non-conference game of the regular season on Saturday when they travel to East Hartford, Conn., to play the undefeated Connecticut Huskies.

Saturday’s game with the Huskies will mark the third meeting between Akron (2-2, 1-0, MAC) and UConn (4-0, 1-0 Big East). UConn narrowly defeated the Zips in both of the previous contests. The Huskies won the first meeting in 2000, 38-35 at the Rubber Bowl, before winning 38-37 at Rentschler Field in 2003.

While the game may not have as much significance as the remaining MAC games on Akron’s schedule, it does give the Zips their last opportunity to accomplish one of this season’s goals: beat a Bowl Championship Series school.

This is another chance for us to accomplish one of our goals, Brookhart said during his weekly news conference Monday. It’s a BCS victory. That’s something we shoot to do. We haven’t been able to get that done this year.

In week two of the 2006 season, the Zips defeated Atlantic Coast Conference member North Carolina State 20-14, which was their lone BCS win of the year.

Snapshot of UConn

The Huskies’ 4-0 start is their best since the 1997 season. After defeating conference opponent Pittsburgh 34-14 last Saturday, UConn received three votes in The Associated Press Top 25 poll released Sunday. The Huskies last received votes in the poll at the end of the 2004 season.

A large part of UConn’s early season success can be credited to the team’s turnover margin. The Huskies have forced 13 turnovers, while the offense has turned the ball over four times so far in 2007. The Huskies’ current turnover ratio has them tied for third nationally with Louisiana State University.

UConn’s defense is currently ranked twelfth-best. The Huskies have only allowed an average of 250 yards of total offense, and their 10 interceptions place them in a tie for second nationally.

Zips’ junior offensive lineman Chris Kemme said that UConn’s four defensive linemen – Julius Williams, Rob Lunn, Dan Davis and Cody Brown – will prove to be a challenge for Akron’s offensive line.

I just got done watching film, Kemme said. Up front, they’re gonna be one of the better teams we face. They’re pretty physical, and they like to get after you.

They’re probably the quickest (defensive) ends we’ll see.

Brookhart said that the Huskies’ style of play is similar to that of a Big Ten team.

They are physical (and) they can throw, Akron’s fourth-year head coach said. They have some good receivers, but they like to run the ball.

I think it is going to be a physical football game, and we are going to have to make some things happen, especially on their home field.

UConn’s redshirt sophomore running back Donald Brown was the only freshman to be named All-Conference in the Big East in 2006. Brown appeared in all 12 of UConn’s contests and gained 896 yards rushing on 161 carries.

Not taking Akron lightly

UConn head coach Randy Edsall is aware of the recent success of Akron’s defense and has his team focused on its game against the Zips this weekend.

Akron is a very good football team, Edsall said during a media luncheon Tuesday.  Defensively, they are very active.  They have good team speed and like to pressure you. 

They’re a lively defense that runs to the ball.  The thing that impresses me is (that) they force a lot of turnovers.

The Huskies’ ninth-year head coach said that the competitiveness of the Akron-Ohio State football game demonstrates the quality opposition that Akron represents.

This will be a very challenging week for us, Edsall said. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the Akron football team, the coaching staff and the way they play the game.  They played Ohio State really tough.

Shuffling the depth chart

Junior running back Bryan Williams is listed as the Zips starting running back on the depth chart released Monday. Redshirt sophomore Alex Allen is listed second at the position. Sophomore Wayne Cobham is listed as the starter at the defensive rover position, replacing injured senior John Mackey.

After leading the team in tackles with 10 against Kent State, Akron linebacker Brion Stokes was named MAC Defensive Player of the Week by the league office Monday. Stokes also recovered a fumble in the Zips’ victory.
” #1.1361764:2606556527.jpg:CJ_bw.jpg:Quarterback Carlton Jackson will lead the Zips into Connecticut for their final non-conference game. The Zips goal this season is to win a game vs. a BCS opponent and Jackson will be the key.:”