Fearless team races top competition

“The men’s and women’s cross country teams competed in the Notre Dame Invitational Friday afternoon with the women finishing 14th in the blue section and the men finishing sixth in the gold section. Although the women finished 14th of 21 teams, the blue section was a cutthroat race with teams from Illinois, Michigan and Boston College.”

The men’s and women’s cross country teams competed in the Notre Dame Invitational Friday afternoon with the women finishing 14th in the blue section and the men finishing sixth in the gold section.

Although the women finished 14th of 21 teams, the blue section was a cutthroat race with teams from Illinois, Michigan and Boston College. More important, the Zips finished seven points and one place ahead of preseason MAC favorite Ohio.

The women were led by All-MAC runner Sediah Erskine who placed 47th with a time of 17:49 and freshman Kim Lorentz who placed 55th with a time of 17:55.

Erskine and Lorentz did some extremely good things. It was a big meet, head coach Scott Jones said.

They ran fearlessly against the top teams in the country and were rewarded with good finishing times.

Freshman Cassandra Schenck finished in a time of 18:13 followed closely by sophomore teammate Larisa Arcip’s 18:14 finish.

Jones is also confident about the women’s potential.

This meet highlights how good this team can be and how it has the potential to be a national-level program.

The men finished sixth of 25 teams, and, like the women, also finished ahead of preseason MAC favorite Ohio. The men finished eight points and one place ahead of the Bobcats.

The men were led by senior Jason Headman who finished 13th with a time of 25:19. Freshman Andy Morgan was second for the Zips and finished 20th overall in 25:28.

The men competed very well. They showed they’re going to be a force in the MAC, Jones said.

The Zips will return to action Friday at the All Ohio Championships in Delaware, Ohio.