POLITICAL DEBATE: Should we abandon the death penalty?

“A majority of Ohioans have traditionally approved of the death penalty. I am of that majority. Imagine an innocent 3-year-old child, killed in a senseless act of child punishment. This may not be worthy of the death penalty to some. Now, imagine the same 3-year-old, not only being beaten, but raped.”

A majority of Ohioans have traditionally approved of the death penalty.

I am of that majority.

Imagine an innocent 3-year-old child, killed in a senseless act of child punishment. This may not be worthy of the death penalty to some.

Now, imagine the same 3-year-old, not only being beaten, but raped.

This is why the death penalty still exists.

In January 2006, Trustin Blue, the 3-year-old son of Luzmilda Blue, was taken to an emergency room with severe bruises, broken bones and bruised and swollen genitals and other injuries that doctors said were signs of rape.

Lamont Hunter, the boyfriend of Luzmilda Blue, was convicted of beating the child to death and was sentenced to death by a three-judge panel in Hamilton County, Ohio.

If there are individuals out there willing to kill or rape innocent people, they should have to face punishment. Three square meals a day with a roof over their heads is not punishment.

In Ohio, between 1981 and 2005, 2,768 capital indictments were made. Only 289 were sentenced to death, according to the American Bar Association.

Capital punishment is not used lightly. If it were, many more would be executed. Only around 10 percent of all those indicted with the death penalty actually make it to death row. Once there, only a few actually ever die by the state, because of appeals, term lengths, and re-trials.

There are those who will say the criminal will be better off with life in prison to think about what he or she has done. However, if criminals are so immoral that they can kill or rape someone in the first place, and then proceed to plead not-guilty, or temporarily insane, then are obviously they are not concerned with their moral well-being.

Instead, they should spend the next few years of their life knowing they will soon look death in the eyes.

A true punishment for a terrible act would be to place a criminal in a cell for a few years with the promise of death. In a few years, after waiting day after day, and pondering what death will be like, the criminal will find out.

They will die afraid, alone,and fearful. Fearful of what will come after death.

But what does this fear really come from?

Innocence will free the soul. Those who are afraid to die, fear only the repercussions of their actions while alive.