UA reports campus crime

“The University of Akron’s office of general counsel sent out a Special Edition Zipmail Monday to inform students and the university community of annual reports released by UA. According to the Zipmail, the reports range from safety to equality in athletics.”

The University of Akron’s office of general counsel sent out a Special Edition Zipmail Monday to inform students and the university community of annual reports released by UA.

According to the Zipmail, the reports range from safety to equality in athletics.

One Zipmail report specifically highlighted the UA Campus Safety and Security Information report Web site.

University Police provides 24-hour-a-day patrol protection to the campus, parking lots, residence halls and on-campus fraternity and sorority houses, the report said. The university’s 32 full-time police officers are commissioned by the State of Ohio with full law-enforcement authority and responsibilities identical to the local police department or sheriff.

The crime report lists statistics from the last three years. Most noteworthy are the statistics on main campus burglary, fraternity and sorority burglary, drug law violations and liquor-law violations.

On-campus burglary reports cut in half from 14 incidents in 2005 to seven in 2006; on-campus fraternity and sorority burglary reports decreased from 10 incidents in ’05 to four in ’06.

Drug-law violations decreased significantly from 70 in 2005, to just nine in 2006. Similarly drastic is the reduction in liquor-law violations. They saw a reduction from 72 incidents in 2005 to only 27 in 2006.

There has only been one reported incident of burglary at the Wayne County campus in the last three years, according to the report.

The Federal Crime Awareness Campus Security Act of 1990, requires the annual safety report.

Additionally, UA has given a link to the Essential Notices and Information Web site in the Special Edition Zipmail Monday.

The Web site has seven areas where the page said the UA community can access reports and statistical information.

The seven areas include the Universities Safety and Security Information, the report for the Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act, policy concerning privacy and release of student education records, university tuition and fees, student graduation rates and additional important notices and information, regarding sexual harassment policy, copyright policy and guidelines against plagiarism.