Injuries sideline players in weekend split

“The University of Akron women’s soccer team took both a win and a loss this weekend as it opened Mid-American Conference play against Buffalo and Kent State at Lee Jackson Field. In their first game against Buffalo on Friday, the Zips needed one goal to beat the struggling Bulls.”

The University of Akron women’s soccer team took both a win and a loss this weekend as it opened Mid-American Conference play against Buffalo and Kent State at Lee Jackson Field.

In their first game against Buffalo on Friday, the Zips needed one goal to beat the struggling Bulls.

Freshman Jordan Baranowski scored the unassisted goal by sneaking the ball just inside the left goal post in the 35th minute.

It was a good team performance. Not only for the starters, but bench players added to the game as well, head coach Catherine Byrne said.

The goal from Baranowski was great. I give her great credit; she worked hard all game and was able to find the back of the net.

The Zips played aggressively in the game as they outshot the Bulls 11-8 including a 5-2 advantage on shots on goal.

Although the Zips were unable to score again, they threatened many times during the second half. Seven different Zips took shots on goal in the game.

With the shutout victory, Akron goalkeeper Krystin Wilson improved to 6-1-2 on the season. Wilson now has four shutouts on the year and 15 for her career, which set an Akron record.

I thought she did well. Our defense as a whole did well, Byrne said. Because our defense played well, we gave her little to deal with.

Buffalo fell to 3-6-1 with the loss and Akron improved to 6-2-2 with the win.

In the second game of the weekend, the Zips were unable to top rival Kent State who led the game in every offensive category.

The Golden Flashes had the advantage in shots with 15-7, shots on goal with 7-5 and corner kicks with 7-4.

Kent State’s Kimberly Dimitroff put her team on the board first in the 24th minute.

With Akron trailing, Danielle Walsh scored off a corner kick in the 40th minute to tie the game at one goal with her first goal of the season. The game stayed tied until Catharine Marosszeky scored for Kent late in the second half, and Dimitroff added an insurance goal shortly after.

Donna Swift and Jess Pomfret were unable to play in the game because of injuries sustained prior to the start of the game against the Golden Flashes.

We had some freak injuries this weekend and obviously didn’t have the full squad, Byrne said of the loss to Kent State.

Akron will continue its homestand this weekend with MAC opponents Miami Redhawks Oct. 5 and the Ball State Cardinals on Oct. 7.