Cafes offer off-campus quiet time

“When Cafe Momus closed in the spring, it left University of Akron students having to scramble to find a new study spot. With the popular java haven gone, where can students turn to get their work done in a quiet atmosphere? It turns out there are a number of places around campus that can help fill the void left by Momus.”

When Cafe Momus closed in the spring, it left University of Akron students having to scramble to find a new study spot. With the popular java haven gone, where can students turn to get their work done in a quiet atmosphere?

It turns out there are a number of places around campus that can help fill the void left by Momus.

Aroma, 445 E. Exchange Street

Don’t let the exterior fool you. Inside, this coffeehouse is quite roomy and pleasantly decorated. It offers wireless Internet and is open late, which accommodates students looking to hunker down for long study sessions.

Aroma also offers a nice variety of coffees, including a pumpkin blend for autumn, as well as a selection of decadent pastries. Here, a muffin is the equivalent of a small meal, in terms of size.

The shop can get a little busy at night, when students tend to fill the tables, so be advised to get there early to get a nice, quiet spot.

If you are easily distracted, Aroma might present a problem, as it is right on Exchange Street. The windows on the front of the store offer a bird’s-eye view of any activity taking place, which could be detrimental to productivity.

On the plus side, Akron police officers often stop at Aroma for their caffeine fix, so that provides a warm, fuzzy sense of security.

Mocha Maiden, 17-19 Maiden Lane

The biggest problem with Mocha Maiden is the fact that it offers coffee drinks with alcohol.

But, the best part of Mocha Maiden is the fact that it offers coffee drinks with alcohol.

For those who actually need to get some work done, there are plenty of options to choose from. Among them are the Macho Mocha, espresso with chocolate, praline syrup and steamed milk; and the Double Chocolate Biscotti Latte, which is chocolate biscotti and chocolate syrup with steamed milk, topped with whipped cream and chocolate drizzle.

If you have room, you can treat yourself to a freshly made muffin.

Maiden has tons to offer: wireless Internet, an intriguing atmosphere and an art gallery next door. It is out of the way, nestled off of Market Street, which makes for a secluded study session.

However, Musica, which is adjacent to the main coffeehouse, serves as a music venue, which effectively negates the idea of studying, although it does open up the opportunity to have a wonderful time in downtown Akron.

Angel Falls Coffee Company, 792 W. Market Street

In the heart of Highland Square, this independently owned neighborhood coffee shop caters to a large and diverse crowd.

Owner Rafael Oletta serves many blends of Venezuelan coffee, in addition to a number of specialty chocolates. Fair Trade blends are also served daily, which is a bonus for the conscientious consumer.

The freshly brewed peach apricot iced tea cannot be beat. If you happen to be there on one of the days this tea is being brewed, give it a try.

The lunch menu is moderately priced, but the fare is limited to sandwiches, soups and salads. If you like chicken salad, you’re in luck. The chicken salad here is breath-taking.

Breakfast items are also affordable.

This coffee shop has free wireless available to customers. To use Surf and Sip, the wireless service at Angel Falls, customers have to be registered at the Web site.

The atmosphere in Angel Falls is cozy, so seating is sometimes limited. If you’re lucky, grab a spot on the comfortable couch and settle into some coffee and a good book. When the weather is warm, seating can usually be found outside on the patio or sidewalk.

Nervous Dog Coffee Bar and Roaster, 1530 W. Market St.

Open for a little over a year, this coffee shop definitely has a niche in West Akron.

They have a roaster on site, and the baristas are always experimenting with custom blends and specialty drinks.

They serve robust blends, and the French Roast is a particularly strong coffee. The Red Eye here cannot be beat. It will keep you awake for the whole night.

The wireless service is free, and there are electrical outlets by each table. However, this is a small coffeehouse, so if the weather is warm, grab a spot outside.

The Nervous Dog serves muffins and other coffeehouse staples, but they also offer sandwiches from Devitis Italian Market in North Hill.

From time to time, musical acts show up at the Nervous Dog. The most recent was a professional cellist, and other acts have included Akron Symphony Orchestra players and student recitals.

In coming months, the coffee shop will host musical performances on a regular basis.

” #1.1361723:1282622622.JPG:IMG_5583.JPG:Cafe Momus closed its doors in the spring, leaving a void for University of Akron students looking for a quiet spot to study. :MELISSA DUNFEE / THE BUCHTELITE”
“#1.1361722:2107334147.JPG:IMG_5683.JPG:Angel Falls Coffee Company is one of a few places that can make up for Cafe Mumos’ closing.:MELISSA DUNFEE / THE BUCHTELITE”
“#1.1361721:2904717605.jpg:20071004main.jpg:Mocha Maiden, located off Market Street, offers them an alternative, as does Nervous Dog Coffee Bar and Roaster. :Kevin Curwin”