Downtown deli Diamond in the rough

“One characteristic that defines a restaurant besides the quality of the food is a restaurant’s ability to keep you coming back for more. The Diamond Deli gets an A+ with regard to both of these categories. Located at 378 S. Main Street in downtown Akron, The Diamond Deli serves huge sandwiches with various other deli style menu items.”

One characteristic that defines a restaurant besides the quality of the food is a restaurant’s ability to keep you coming back for more. The Diamond Deli gets an A+ with regard to both of these categories.

Located at 378 S. Main Street in downtown Akron, The Diamond Deli serves huge sandwiches with various other deli style menu items. What makes the Diamond Deli different from other places like it is the family history behind some of there sandwiches. All of the specialty sandwiches have some type of meaning to the family that owns the deli. I am going to give you some of my personal recommendations of sandwiches that I like but keep in mind everything is a slam dunk here.

Just for Ed, a sandwich piled high with roast beef and turkey, is particularly appetizing. The sandwich is topped off with hot pepper cheese, lettuce, red onion and Thousand Island dressing. The sandwich is served on grilled rye bread but if you do not like rye you can substitute another type of bread.

One sandwich, Manny’s B17, which I had for the first time this week, is composed of smoked turkey and ham. The sandwich is complemented with tomato, honey mustard and scallion cream cheese, again served on rye bread. If you like cream cheese I would highly recommend this sandwich because the scallion cream cheese at this deli is nothing short of amazing.

Then there’s Zach’s Yeah Right Dad. This sandwich is comprised of chicken salad and bacon. The sandwich is finished off with lettuce, tomato and honey mustard and is presented again on rye bread. The combination of chicken salad and bacon is excellent and this sandwich can also be ordered as a wrap, which is how I like to order it.

To complement all of these great sandwiches the Diamond Deli offers soups and salads. The two sides that they are most widely known for are their potato salad and their homemade Matzo Ball soup. The potato salad is without a doubt the best potato salad that I have ever had. I have never tasted the Matzo Ball soup however is my visits to this establishment I always hear people talk about how delicious it is. My final recommendation for this place is that if you want to get a beverage with your meal you should get the Tradewinds Tropical Fruit Punch bottled drink. This beverage is an explosion of flavors once it hits your lips and once you have had it once you will get it again I promise.

So I bet you are wondering how much it costs to eat here. Most of the sandwiches are right around six bucks and if you want to get some potato salad and a tropical fruit punch with your sandwich, your bill will still be under ten dollars.