Akron: Then and now

“Being a non-traditional student at the University of Akron, I remember a much different Akron than what we see now. Walking from the Polsky Building on High Street, to Kolbe Hall on campus brings back many memories of what life was once like in Akron. As my daily walk continues from class to class, I pass by the old train station and the memories of days when a passenger train used to run through Akron, taking people to numerous places throughout the country.”

Being a non-traditional student at the University of Akron, I remember a much different Akron than what we see now.

Walking from the Polsky Building on High Street, to Kolbe Hall on campus brings back many memories of what life was once like in Akron.

As my daily walk continues from class to class, I pass by the old train station and the memories of days when a passenger train used to run through Akron, taking people to numerous places throughout the country.

I remembers a popular 1980s song recorded by the Pretenders, My City Was Gone, where lead singer and Akron native Chrissie Hynde leaves Akron, and upon returning, finds things had disappeared such as the train station.

Though the train isn’t picking up passengers anymore, this landmark is still there.

This is one of the many landmarks of Akron that the university has acquired throughout the years.

I have many childhood memories of when fine department stores such as Polsky’s and O’Neil’s were downtown bustling with shoppers looking to buy the latest fashions.

But my fondest memory of this area is the Christmas decorations that O’Neil’s used to have in the windows every year.

I can remember the cars driving up on Main Street and the traffic being backed up all the way to Perkins Street and waiting to see the best-dressed Christmas windows in Akron.

Many of these places are gone due to the economic changes that have occurred throughout the decade, but if not for the pride that UA has taken to acquire these buildings and convert them to classrooms, these buildings might have met up with a wrecking ball.