Zips to honor seniors

” With the University of Akron football team (4-7, 3-4 MAC) out of the Mid-American East Division race, the Zips’ season finale against the Central Michigan Chippewas Friday morning holds little importance to UA fans. The game, however, holds great significance for UA’s 16 seniors, as they will be honored in a pregame ceremony for their contributions to Akron’s football program.”

With the University of Akron football team (4-7, 3-4 MAC) out of the Mid-American East Division race, the Zips’ season finale against the Central Michigan Chippewas Friday morning holds little importance to UA fans.

The game, however, holds great significance for UA’s 16 seniors, as they will be honored in a pregame ceremony for their contributions to Akron’s football program. Zips’ captains Jabari Arthur, John Mackey and Reggie Corner will play their last game at the Rubber Bowl and end their illustrious collegiate football careers.

In Akron’s 7-0 loss to Miami University Wednesday, Arthur set UA’s single-season receptions record. His six catches for 73 yards gave him 78 catches for 1,060 yards through 11 games.

He’s really different, head coach J.D. Brookhart said. I think he’s done it on a want-to basis. He wants to be good at whatever he does. He’s worked on his hands, speed, and route running and he’s become extremely effective.

I don’t think I’ve had a bad moment with the kid.

Mackey, playing with a torn right anterior cruciate ligament, intercepted two Miami passes inside the red zone to help keep the RedHawks scoreless in the first half. The senior defensive rover has recorded 42 solo tackles while playing in nine Zips games in 2007.

Corner has been a stalwart for UA at the cornerback position since the 2004 season. The Canton, Ohio, native has started every game this season and has recorded six interceptions and tallied142 return yards.

Central Michigan (6-5, 5-1 MAC) enters the game already having clinched the MAC West Division Championship. The Chippewas will play the MAC East Division winner Saturday, December 1 at Detroit’s Ford Field in the MAC Championship Game.

Kickoff Friday is set for 11 a.m. The game will be nationally telecast on ESPNU.