Zips lose overtime heartbreaker

“The 14th-seeded University of Akron men’s soccer team lost a heartbreaker in double overtime to the University of South Florida Wednesday night in the second round of the NCAA Championship tournament at Lee Jackson Field. Both teams went without scoring for the game’s first 101 minutes, until just after the start of the second overtime.”

The 14th-seeded University of Akron men’s soccer team lost a heartbreaker in double overtime to the University of South Florida Wednesday night in the second round of the NCAA Championship tournament at Lee Jackson Field.

Both teams went without scoring for the game’s first 101 minutes, until just after the start of the second overtime.

South Florida’s Simon Schoendorf took a direct kick from 35 yards, and UA goalkeeper Evan Bush punched the ball, sending it into the air. Bulls’ defender Yohance Marshall was in the right place at the right time as the ball ricocheted off his chest and into the back of the net.

Anytime you give a team a chance to put the ball in the mix like that anything can happen, Zips head coach Caleb Porter said. Then the wind got a hold of the ball and Evan tried to make a play on it. It was very shocking but I give them credit.

The Zips’ offensive attack was relentless through the first overtime as they outshot the Bulls’ 14-7 including a margin of 8-3 in shots on goal.

Freshman and Mid-American Conference Newcomer of the year award winner Steve Zakuani led the Zips with five shots, four of which were on goal.

Elliot Bradbrook had the chance to score twice inside the box late in the first half but wasn’t able to find the back of the net.

In the end you have to finish and put the ball in the net to win, Porter said. We had chances to do that and we didn’t.

Porter spoke on the impact the six seniors on the team have made in their tenure on the team.

The seniors have been absolutely tremendous and I can’t say enough about what they’ve done for this program, Porter said. They’ve paved the way for the future and our young players. Hopefully we’ll continue and I know we’ll be back in this position.

The Zips finished the season 18-4-2. They won the MAC Championship and swept the conference postseason awards.

Once the pain and sting goes away we’ll get back to work and look forward to next year, Porter said.

” #1.1361446:3145457416.jpg:soccer.jpg: Zips players are stunned after a 1-0 double-overtime loss in the second round of the NCAA tournament against South Florida. :Wes Boettner / The Buchtelite”