Our View

“Typical. It makes sense to plan a parking shortage, doesn’t it? Sell more parking passes than spaces, charge more for parking tickets. It makes business sense. Tell that to students, though, and they’ll probably just get angry. And they should, right? As students, we pay a lot of money in tuition to come to the university.”

Typical. It makes sense to plan a parking shortage, doesn’t it? Sell more parking passes than spaces, charge more for parking tickets.

It makes business sense.

Tell that to students, though, and they’ll probably just get angry.

And they should, right? As students, we pay a lot of money in tuition to come to the university. Commuting is one way we can save money, but oftentimes we find ourselves wondering if the frustration that accompanies parking is worth it.

Or the parking tickets, meters, and door dings from tight parking decks.

For the university to plan a parking shortage, or even to simply fail to do anything about it, is incredible.

We don’t think the goal of parking services is to make money. We understand that since the university didn’t raise tuition this year, they may feel compelled to raise money other ways.

But preying on commuters? That’s not quite fair, and we’re horrified.

We can understand selling a few more passes than parking spaces. Not all students are here all day every day.

We’re also glad that the university has acquired more parking spaces for next semester. The nearly 500 spaces at the Quaker Square Inn will help a great deal, and it would be wonderful if the university could obtain the 300 spaces on Exchange Street they were looking at.

Those would help a lot. They would help ease our frustration. We wouldn’t feel like the university is maliciously planning parking shortages to generate revenue, or that on-campus parking is nothing more than a joke to them.

It would feel great to be able to find a parking space, instead of driving around for half an hour looking for one.

It would be great to not be forced to park at meters after we’ve already bought a pass.

It would be great not to have to park at Polsky or have someone drop us off.

But we suppose that to the administration, tuition doesn’t ensure easy, accessible parking. It just covers your classes.

Paying over $100 for a pass doesn’t gaurantee you anything, either.

What did you expect?