Zippy hops on top in regular season

“Zippy went undefeated in the regular season of the Capital One Mascot Bowl. However, the postseason still stands between our beloved marsupial and the Mascot of the Year title. For just under four months, the University of Akron’s mascot Zippy has been competing in the Capital One Mascot Bowl.”

Zippy went undefeated in the regular season of the Capital One Mascot Bowl. However, the postseason still stands between our beloved marsupial and the Mascot of the Year title.

For just under four months, the University of Akron’s mascot Zippy has been competing in the Capital One Mascot Bowl. The bowl is an online voting contest between 12 other Division I mascots from around the nation.

The winning mascot receives an additional $5,000 scholarship toward their school’s mascot and athletic department. All mascots that have competed in the bowl so far have received a $5,000 scholarship for their mascot programs. The winner will also be featured in a Capital One commercial.

Eric Baker, one of the students who dresses as Zippy, explained what Zippy needs in order to win the postseason.

It’s going to take a valid effort from all the students and members of the Zips’ nation, Baker said. We had a great start in the competition and remained undefeated, but the competition is not over.

We need everyone to vote every day, including weekends, and to spread the word.

Baker said it’s key in the postseason to pay attention to the polls.

The key is to remain focused on the week-to week- competition, he said. Voting is extremely important; we could lose by one vote.

The competition is single elimination, so if the other mascot gets 5,000 votes and Zippy gets 4,999, she’s out.

Baker said this bowl means more than just money to UA.

It would mean a lot to the university if Zippy won. It would put the University of Akron on the map, he said. It will make people take note of the Zips athletic department and the $5,000 could really help too. Not to mention the tons of publicity Zippy and University of Akron would receive.

According to Baker, if UA continues to believe in Zippy and vote online she can win the challenge.

I’m confident in the Zips nation, and believe that if we all pull together we can help Zippy win, he said. I wouldn’t be that surprised if on January 1 you hear Zippy’s name read.

President of UA, Luis Proenza shared Baker’s enthusiasm.

It’s very exciting but I’m not surprised, Proenza said. Its something we at Akron have grown accustomed to.

Zippy has been in competitions like this before and has won time and time again.

Proenza also said the university needs to stay engaged with the competition in order to win.

She is a very adorable and original mascot. She has a great effect on fans and helps build a real sense of pride about the school, Proenza said.

We all need to be engaged in this competition to make sure Zippy is the undisputed and uncontested winner.

Zippy is currently in competition with Otto the orange from Syracuse University. Zippy won over Otto in the third week of the regular season by almost 1,500 votes. The voting between the two has already begun and ends Sunday. All voting can be done at www.CapitaloneBowl.com.

” #1.1361428:4225334225.jpg:20071004_zippy_kc.jpg:Zippy is currently battling for a spot in the quarterfinals of the Capital One Bowl Mascot Challenge.:”