Boxer injured in motorcycle accident

“Gary Arnold is a prime example of selflessness. He spends countless hours mentoring and instructing Akron’s youth on the techniques of boxing. On occasion, Arnold even spends money out of his own pocket to pay for bills and equipment that his boxing club, the Good Shepherd Athletic Club, could not otherwise afford.”

Gary Arnold is a prime example of selflessness.

He spends countless hours mentoring and instructing Akron’s youth on the techniques of boxing. On occasion, Arnold even spends money out of his own pocket to pay for bills and equipment that his boxing club, the Good Shepherd Athletic Club, could not otherwise afford.

Not even a recent motorcycle accident can keep Arnold’s spirits about the club down.

Arnold was involved in a serious motorcycle accident and broke his right leg and had multiple fractures to other areas of his body.

Luckily for Arnold, a few nurses witnessed the accident and stopped to help him before an ambulance arrived.

They witnessed what happened and were amazed that I lived through it, Arnold said.

Because of his injuries, Arnold hasn’t been able to spend time at his club. He said more than the atmosphere there, he misses his kids.

I have kids calling me everyday to ask when I’m going to be back, Arnold said. I’m hurting and in so much pain that I’m in bed by 5 or 5:30.

Arnold has been running the club for the last 17 years.

When I’m not there, a part of me isn’t right. It’s been like that for the last three weeks, he said. I just feel like there’s a void in my life that’s not being filled.

The kids need that hug, that person that sees that little thing in their eyes that something is wrong. I have the special ability to see that the kid needs attention.

Arnold was thinking of ceding control of the club, but now he wants to put even more time and effort into the Good Shepherd Athletic Club.

I was tired, and when you get tired, you make decisions based on self. When you start doing that you start making bad decisions, Arnold said. I didn’t put this place together for someone to come in and take over.

This injury made me realize how important it is for me to be here and that I can’t do it by myself like have been.

Although the Good Shepherd is important to Arnold, he understands he can’t be involved forever.

I’m setting a time table for myself to leave the Good Shepherd Athletic Club in the next two or three years, but I want my board of trustees to understand why, Arnold said. We need young guys to come in that understand and know what’s going on in the community.

I’m going to let the Lord lead me.

Everything Arnold teaches to the kids who frequent the club originates from his mother, Helen Arnold.

I think I was my mother’s special child. My mother always wanted the best for me, Arnold said. My mom carried me everywhere she went. She took me to Washington, D.C. for the March on Washington. She took me to council meetings and board of education meetings.

Arnold said his mother always knew best, and he should have listened better.

Everything my mother has said to me has come to pass, Arnold said. She told me no motorcycles, and look at me now.

There is another person who deserves credit for his upbringing, Arnold said.

My Uncle Ester has given me every drive and incentive I have in life, he said. He was my father’s brother, but he took over as my father.

Gary wants to thank dozens of people. He thanks the community, his siblings and parents, the coaches who help out at his gym, his Uncle Ester and especially the foundations around the community that have helped the Good Shepherd Athletic Club become what it is today.