Young Zips step up in loss of leader

“The University of Akron women’s basketball suffered a major blow when sophomore standout Sarah Tokodi was injured in late December. Tokodi was injured while driving to the basket in the second half of the Zips game against Xavier on Dec. 28th and required surgery to repair a torn ACL in her left knee.”

The University of Akron women’s basketball suffered a major blow when sophomore standout Sarah Tokodi was injured in late December.

Tokodi was injured while driving to the basket in the second half of the Zips game against Xavier on Dec. 28th and required surgery to repair a torn ACL in her left knee.

She will be out the season, Head Basketball Coach Jodi Kest said. Recovery for everyone is different, it could be more or less than six months.

Tokodi is a leader for the Zips and one of the elite players in the MAC. Over a six game span this season, Tokodi averaged 17.5 points, 5.3 assists and 5.2 rebounds a game.

The Zips have continued to play tough with the help of some younger players on the team, but have lost nine straight games including seven straight since Tokodi suffered the injury.

Freshmen Keyla Snowden, Kara Murphy and Amanda Sedlack have all greatly contributed to the team in the wake of Tokodi’s injury.

We’ve been pleased with all three young ladies performance, Kest said. But, we are the only Division 1 school starting three freshmen in the backcourt, so there will be mistakes.

Snowden is already in ninth place for the Zips all-time three point field goals made in a single season with 46. She is on pace for a total of 86 three point field goals which would break the current record of 63. She also leads the team in free throw percentage with a mark of .906.

We recruited Keyla because of her three point shooting, she was one of the best shooters we saw, Kest said. That was one area of concern that we had as a team.

Murphy has started every game for the Zips and leads the team with a .426 field goal percentage. She also leads the team in rebounds with 90.

Kara does a great job of getting to the basket and she is improving, Kest said.

Sedlack leads the team in both steals with 23 and assists with 54.

She has had to step up her game because of Sarah’s injury and give us 36 or 37 minutes per game, Kest said. She’s had a lot of improvement in every conference game. She struggled at Bowling Green, but has been better in every game since.

The Zips are currently 5-14 overall and 0-5 in the MAC. The Zips are back in action this Saturday at Toledo.