Madden leads to procrastination

“With fantasy football leagues going into the playoffs starting this week, the world of football seems to be at a stand-still, especially if your fantasy team didn’t even make the playoffs. So what is a die-hard football fan to do? Go play some Madden 2008.”

With fantasy football leagues going into the playoffs starting this week, the world of football seems to be at a stand-still, especially if your fantasy team didn’t even make the playoffs.

So what is a die-hard football fan to do?

Go play some Madden 2008.

A lot can be learned from this EA Sports classic, but some of these things seem unrealistic.

To start off, how are the Baltimore Ravens rated as a 90 overall team?

They have no stable quarterback, and their main passing threat, tight end Todd Heap, is injured.

One may think Baltimore’s defense is the reason for such a high rating, but it has constantly let down in the second half (i.e Monday Night Football vs. New England).

Another unrealistic feature of the game is the play of Braylon Edwards of the Cleveland Browns.

I understand he is a go-to, play-making wide receiver, but seriously, every time a ball is thrown 10 feet over his head, he snatches it for a first down or for six points.

Chances are I am a little bitter over Edwards’ superman style of play, but let’s be honest, he’s good but not that good.

On to the next order of business, and probably the most frustrating.

Playing on Xbox Live.

I’m used to a little bit of lag every now and then, but the Internet connection in my house is not so bad that I can’t even kick a field goal.

Not only do I have to play 10-year-old front running Patriots fans, who constantly throw uncoverable deep balls to Randy Moss, but I have to battle Al Gore’s great creation every snap.

However, there is nothing better than hearing the 10-year-old complain after I scramble for touchdown after touchdown with Tony Romo.

I have been overwhelmed with the amount of Madden I have been playing lately, but for as much as I play, I can’t get enough.

And I’ve always been a football video game fanatic.

From Tecmo Super Bowl to Joe Montana Sports Talk Football to NFL 2k1, I have had a slight obsession with all football games.

Believe it or not, you can learn a lot from these games.

Since my days of playing quarterback in high school, I’ve loved reading defensive coverages and adjusting plays to beat the defense.

As washed up as I am, it’s still nice to pick apart defenses with audibles and see my opponent squirm.

Go get a copy of Madden ’08 over break and use your time efficiently.

Besides, who needs to work when you can hone your skills in preparation for the Madden Challenge.

Personally, I’m not going to try my luck, but if you want to test your luck, shoot me an email and we’ll battle.