Zippy is Mascot Of The Year

“Zippy was honored by the University of Akron as Mascot of the Year at the start of the men’s basketball game Jan. 17 against Ohio University. Zippy was named the 2007 Capital One Mascot of the Year during the Capital One Bowl on Jan. 1. Prior to her win, Zippy went undefeated in every match-up she faced during the regular season of the competition, and ended with a perfect 11-0 season.”

Zippy was honored by the University of Akron as Mascot of the Year at the start of the men’s basketball game Jan. 17 against Ohio University. Zippy was named the 2007 Capital One Mascot of the Year during the Capital One Bowl on Jan. 1.

Prior to her win, Zippy went undefeated in every match-up she faced during the regular season of the competition, and ended with a perfect 11-0 season. In the playoffs, Zippy was awarded the number one seed as well as a first round bye week. Zippy defeated Otto from Syracuse in the semi-finals and the University of Minnesota’s Goldy Gopher in the final round of the competition.

All victories were based on online voting done through the Capital One Bowl Website.

We are honored by the outcome of the competition and grateful to the thousands of Zips fans across the country who made this possible, said UA’s Director of Athletics Mack Rhoades. This award is testament to the strength and loyalty of our fan base and it is something we can all share and be proud of.

President Luis Proenza also gave praise to Zippy for winning the competition.

I think it is great and a testament to the appeal that Zippy has on people of all ages, Proenza said. UA is blessed with an adorable mascot that we affectionately call Zippy; it packs quite a punch, puts a zip into everything we do and is always one giant leap ahead of the competition.

Zippy received over 40,000 votes while Goldy Gopher’s total was just over 33,000.

In addition to the Mascot of the Year title, UA will receive a $10,000 scholarship from Capital One to support its mascot program.

I think it builds spirit and gains national attention, and both are good for the welfare of our university and its students, alumni and faculty, Proenza said of Zippy’s victory.

The 2007 Capital One All-America Mascot Team was open to all Div. IA and IAA college mascots who were mascots during the period from Sept. 1, 2006 through June 1, 2007.

Prior mascot winners include Butch T. Cougar of Washington State University in 2006, Herbie Husker of the University of Nebraska in 2005, Monte the Grizzly of the University of Montana in 2005 and 2002 and Cocky of South Carolina University in 2003.

” #1.1361410:643611330.jpg:20080124_zippy hanging_pf.jpg:Zippy is lowered from the rafters of the James A. Rhodes Arena on Jan. 17.:Paul Ferrer”