UA confirms stadium on track for 2009

“As the semester ends, the University of Akron prepares for the start of a major change. InfoCision Stadium, the on-campus football stadium is set to begin construction this winter. We hope to start sometime in the month of January, vice president for capital planning Ted Curtis said.”

As the semester ends, the University of Akron prepares for the start of a major change.

InfoCision Stadium, the on-campus football stadium is set to begin construction this winter.

We hope to start sometime in the month of January, vice president for capital planning Ted Curtis said.

However, a few parcels of land are still not owned by the university and may stall the construction of the stadium.

Curtis said obtaining the properties UA does not own is crucial to the construction timeline.

If the court cases don’t move along it could slow us down, Curtis said.

When asked if the stadium is still on schedule, vice president and general counsel for UA Ted Mallo refused to comment.

However, UA senior public relations representative Ken Torisky, said the stadium project is still moving ahead as scheduled.

We are very optimistic about its construction, and at this point, we are still planning on having our opening game in September 2009.

Curtis agreed with Torisky and said as of now, the plans for the stadium design plans are on track.

The final design is on schedule as we talk today, Curtis said.

Regardless of UA’s status with the unsold properties, students can expect to see changes to the footprint of the stadium in the coming weeks.

The first thing you’ll see is a fence that goes around the entire site and that is around the land that we own, Curtis said. After that will be the start.

We will demolish the four dorm buildings and then start excavation and grading.

Curtis said he plans to ask the board of trustees for approval to begin demolition at the board’s next meeting in one week.

Once they give us the go ahead we could have those four buildings down and hauled away in three to four weeks, he said.

UA approved the plans for InfoCision Stadium in a board meeting earlier in August.

” #1.1361430:415106158.png:stadium entrance.png:A view of the main entrance to InfoCision Stadium from Union and E. Exchange streets.:UA PRESS PHOTO”