Former first daughter seeks to reclaim status

“The University of Akron is forming a reputation for inadvertently giving its student body Valentine’s day presents. Last year it was a snow day, and this year the unannouced arrival of a former first daughter. Chelsea Clinton, declared she would stop in Akron only 27 hours before her arrival on Thursday.”

The University of Akron is forming a reputation for inadvertently giving its student body Valentine’s day presents. Last year it was a snow day, and this year the unannouced arrival of a former first daughter.

Chelsea Clinton, declared she would stop in Akron only 27 hours before her arrival on Thursday.

Hundreds of students, faculty, and community members crowded into the small area at 1:30 p.m. Thursday. Only approximatly 50 chairs had been set up in the Student Union, which left more room for standing audience.

A wave of American political spirit swept the room.

Students holding signs for Barack Obama loomed in the corner, and both democrats and republicans filled the area. One thing was clear: students wanted to hear what Chelsea had to say.

We need a change, student Sara Overdorff said. I’m totally behind Hillary, and this is as close as we can get to Hillary.

Student Josh Shaffer’s reasons for sitting in the front row were slightly different. I’d like to give both Hillary and Barack a chance, he said. I’m not sure how I feel about having a woman president.

You have to understand everyone’s perspective before you can make an educated decision.

Camera phones were posed as Chelsea Clinton entered the room, and applause welcomed her to the stage. Though technical difficulties complicated the first few minutes of her speech, she spoke knowledgeably, without notes, about issues from the Iraq war to universal health care.

One issue that was of particular interest to the crowd was Hillary’s plan for higher education.

This is an area that my mom really wants to revolutionize, Clinton said. This is something that is very personal to her.

Besides recounting her mother’s plans for a $3,500 tax cut for students and a doubled Pell grant, Clinton also mentioned her mother’s intentions to eliminate what Chelsea called tedious FAFSA form, which was met by a round of applause.

No one should ever be dissuaded from applying for aid because of the form, said Clinton. The IRS would send you what level of aid you qualify for; it’s expensive to process all those forms.

Clinton also mentioned her mother’s goal to incorporate alternative fuels into the economy.

We need a car that looks like it belongs in the 21st century, she said. We really need a car that has 100 miles per gallon or more, and we’re supporting Detroit to get there.

When someone in the crowd asked a question regarding another family dynasty in America, Clinton kept her composure.

I hope that you wouldn’t vote for my mom because of my dad, but because of what she wants to accomplish, she said.

Clinton was nothing but supportive of her mother’s ambitions.

I really believe my mom is ready to lead on day one, she said.

After answering in the vicinity of 20 questions, Clinton posed for pictures, signed banners, and gave hugs to students.

I think that she made a very good representative for her mother, especially to college students like us, student Zach Vierheller said, who participated in the organization of the event. Politicians can say very inspiring things, but it’s sometimes hard for a grey-haired man to make a connection with us. I think she can really relate to people our own age, which made the event a success.

” #1.1361295:2185124988.jpg:20080219_clinton3_gk.jpg:Students fill the second floor of the Student Union on Thursday to hear Chelsea Clinton speak.:Gary Kreuger”