OUR VIEW

“In the age of online networking, students are subject to having strangers becoming a larger piece of their life than they want. Networking Web sites like Facebook and Myspace allow users to block their profiles to the general public, but all it takes is one person who has the ability to see a profile to throw up a red flag of concern.”

In the age of online networking, students are subject to having strangers becoming a larger piece of their life than they want.

Networking Web sites like Facebook and Myspace allow users to block their profiles to the general public, but all it takes is one person who has the ability to see a profile to throw up a red flag of concern.

The arrest of Steve Mortensen may have been done hastily, but UA had no choice but to act.

The statements were said to be of Mortensen being unhappy with the university and upon investigation, weapons were not found.

Student support for Mortensen has been strong, but unfortunately will probably not affect any decision that UA decides to take.

Did Mortensen need to be arrested? Probably not. But in the wake of the Northern Illinois shootings, the comments were untimely.

As we have said before, UA has done a good job of informing students when criminal activity has occured, but in this situation, a decision to arrest may have been done too quickly.

Student safety is a key issue, but other than making untimely comments, what has Mortensen done to hinder safety on campus?

Those who know Mortensen claim that he is absolutely no threat to campus and is being treated harshly.

Mortensen may not have been needed to be arrested and taken to jail, but if UA had not taken precautions, and something did happen, then what?

What students need to learn from this is that online networking Web sites can get you into trouble if you don’t handle them the right way.

Think before you post.