Our View

“So many of the powerhouse SEC, PAC-10 and Big-10 universities get to see their former college players in the Super Bowl nearly every year. It’s not often that the University of Akron gets the pleasure of saying that two former Zips will be playing for the Super Bowl.”

So many of the powerhouse SEC, PAC-10 and Big-10 universities get to see their former college players in the Super Bowl nearly every year.

It’s not often that the University of Akron gets the pleasure of saying that two former Zips will be playing for the Super Bowl.

The university should use this time to advertise during the Super Bowl by showing the accomplishments of Domenik Hixon and Chase Blackburn to help promote the school.

It is an opportune time for UA to capitalize on a situation that no one thought would happen in the first place.

Just like no one expected the New York Giants to make the Super Bowl, it is rare for any sports media outlet to give UA athletes any coverage or chance to make it to the NFL.

Let’s face it, UA isn’t known for having the best athletes in the nation. But that doesn’t mean that they have the worst either.

The NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year in 2006 was Jason Taylor of the Miami Dolphins-a former Zip.

Now Blackburn and Hixon have the opportunity to prove to people across the nation that you don’t have to go to a big-time football program to make it to the NFL, and then to a Super Bowl.

If either player makes a game-changing play or has a great game in general, it will give UA another step out from the LeBron James shadow that has plagued the basketball team.

UA needs an identity outside of the local community, and having former atheltes in the national spotlight is a good place to be.

Especially if the Giants can somehow win the game.

The exposure could help attract potential students and also open the eyes of NFL teams to the many athletes at UA that can play, and if given the chance, can probably do it professionally.