'Fool's Gold', 'Vantage Point' set to impress

“The Academy Awards are just around the corner, so you know what that means! Exactly. The studios have exhausted all their resources funding huge blockbusters and brilliantly written indie films with all star casts. This also means that the scraps left over are crudely sewn together to form much less-than-adequate pieces of cinematic trash to clutter up our theaters.”

The Academy Awards are just around the corner, so you know what that means!

Exactly.

The studios have exhausted all their resources funding huge blockbusters and brilliantly written indie films with all star casts.

This also means that the scraps left over are crudely sewn together to form much less-than-adequate pieces of cinematic trash to clutter up our theaters.

This is quite possibly my least favorite month to write about. As much as I regret having to be the one to bring this to you, hot off the press it’s the February Movie Preview…again – I apologize in advance.

The ever-so-charming duo of Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson hit the screen again in Fool’s Gold, due out Friday.

As their marriage seems to be crumbling before their eyes, Ben and Tess (Matt and Kate, respectively) must find the spark needed to keep their romance aflame.

When Ben, a treasure-obsessed bum, hears rumor of a fortune to be found, he re-enters Tess’s life to convince her and her new employers (Donald Sutherland) to assist him on the journey.

Enter Ray Winstone, archenemy of Ben and his competition to find the treasure. As Tess rediscovers her love for the hunt, more rekindling ensues.

Sounds formulaic, eh?

But Hudson and McConaughey made it work in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, let’s hope they can do it again.

The only film in February that I can honestly say that I am psyched about hits theaters at the end the month. Directed by Pete Travis, and written by Barry Levy, Vantage Point hits theaters on Feb. 22nd.

With an amazing cast including Matthew Fox (ABCs Lost), Sigourney Weaver, Dennis Quaid, Forest Whitaker, Zoe Saldana and William Hurt, Point centers around an assassination attempt on the President of the United States.

Told from the perspective of eight different individuals with five different vantage points, the mystery of the shooter and the plot behind the assassination must be unveiled as the pieces all come together.

Vantage Point shows the post-Oscar promise to be the first action-packed thriller of the year.