Celebrity fails to grow musically in self-titled EP

“If at first you don’t succeed, email iTunes. Celebrity released their self-titled five-song EP through iTunes last Tuesday, but to fans dismay the files were corrupted and of very low quality. Once iTunes fixed the problem, the $4.95 I paid to download Celebrity’s third release through Doghouse Records still left me unsatisfied–but the price was right.”

If at first you don’t succeed, email iTunes.

Celebrity released their self-titled five-song EP through iTunes last Tuesday, but to fans dismay the files were corrupted and of very low quality.

Once iTunes fixed the problem, the $4.95 I paid to download Celebrity’s third release through Doghouse Records still left me unsatisfied–but the price was right.

What the band fails to do in Celebrity is show any particular growth from their last three albums. As is commonplace on their previous releases, Celebrity creates heartfelt, ambient songs that are always personal and well-written.

Since Ryan Parrish left Hopesfall and joined the band in 2003, the depth of Celebrity’s songs has grown deeper. His patented style that began in Hopesfall became prevalent in his work with Celebrity and gave the band a more distinct sound as well.

But many times during Celebrity, Parrish’s style feels distant from what the rest of the band is doing. The intricacies in his guitar work set a defined mood for many of the songs, but at times, takes away from the song as a whole. Instead of concentrating on the band as a whole, it is easy to drift and simply pay attention to what Parrish is doing.

The Celebrity EP may be very similar to their past releases, but it is their past that has locked most fans into supporting them.

Vocalist Lance Black’s lyrical work is straight forward and compelling-personal and emotional. On Celebrity, Black is much the same. While the vocal patterns don’t stray too far from previous work, one can still fully relate to them.

In Moving Pieces and Paramore, the band capture everything that makes them unique: driving bass and drum lines, creative leads and sensual lyrics.

Perhaps the best part of this album, and all other releases, is the tightness of brothers Jesse (bass) and Matt (drums) Fine in the rhythm section. The duo keep a steady and powerful groove throughout the EP which keeps the band locked together.

Celebrity doesn’t fall far from the band’s prospective tree, but that might be the best part about the album.