Zips to host Huskies and Broncos

By: Jay Dukes

The Zips volleyball team will host the Huskies of Northern Illinois University on Friday and the Broncos of Western Michigan University Saturday at the JAR during this weekend’s Dig for a Cure.

Akron is now 4-15 overall and 1-5 in MAC play. In 19 matches, UA had averaged 11.24 kills and 13.79 digs per set with a hitting percentage of .192. On the season, Akron has recorded 742 kills, 690 assists and 910 digs.

“I’m expecting our team to compete for every point and put up a great fight,” said Akron Head Coach Ron Arenz of this weekend’s matches. “The goal is to improve our W-L record and continue to increase our level of play in every area of the game.

“I always emphasize that we are our own greatest challenge. If we are able to execute to the best of out ability, then our weakness becomes our strength,” Arenz said.

Notable players for the Zips will be senior Courtney Jarvis, who has recorded 205 kills, a .206 hitting percentage and 137 digs. Jarvis is also leading the Zips with points scored at 225, which averages out to 3.4 points per set.

Junior Morgan Kuhn has contributed 98 digs, 12 serving aces, 476 assists and 30 kills. For the season, Kuhn is averaging 1.1 points per game with a total of 52.5 and a hitting percentage of .308.

Junior Chelsea Harvey has contributed 214 digs, 11 kills, 120 assists and 11 serving aces.

The Huskies, coached by Ray Gooden, are 15-5 overall and 4-2 in conference play, losing to Ball State and Eastern Michigan earlier in the month. The Huskies will be coming to the JAR Friday with on a three-game winning streak and a 6-1 away record.

Northern Illinois averages 15.2 kills, 14.2 assists and 15.5 digs per set with a .283 hitting percentage. The Huskies average 1.7 blocks per set with a total of 152 blocks for the season (43 solo and 149 assisted).

Notable players for the Huskies are Allison McGlaughlin, who has 199 kills and a .213 hitting percentage; Lauren Wicinski, who averages 5.71 kills per set for a total of 388 kills for the season; Kristin Hoffman, who adds 847 assists to the team; and Mary Kurisch with 63 blocks (19 solo and 44 assisted).

Western Michigan comes to the JAR Saturday after facing Buffalo. The Broncos are coached by Colleen Munson, who brings a record of 14-5 overall and a conference record of 4-2, with losses coming against Ball State and Northern Illinois earlier this month. The Broncos have a one-game winning streak and hold a 3-3 away record.

For the season, Western Michigan averages 14.6 kills, 13.7 assists and 18.4 digs per set. The team has recorded 217 blocks (33 solo and 184 assisted).

Notable players for the Broncos are Jessica Brown, leading her team with 213 kills, 45 blocks (two solo and 43 assisted) and a .297 hitting percentage. Ali Gossen adds 192 kills and 29 blocks (eight solo and 21 assisted), with a hitting percentage of .196. Ashley Turnage has contributed 62 blocks (15 solo and 47 assisted), 192 kills and 16 serving aces.