Women's soccer splits weekend

By: Parker Perry

The University of Akron women’s soccer team (6-6-2, 3-3-2 MAC) ended an inter-conference matchup weekend 1-1 after beating Bowling Green Friday night 1-0 and falling to Miami 3-0 Sunday.

In the first, Akron came away with a 7-4 shot advantage. Bowling Green, however, held a 2-1 shots on goal lead. Nevertheless, nether team was able to come away with a score and both teams headed into the half with missed chances and the score tied at zero.

After battling again for most of the second half, UA and BG remained scoreless until sophomore defender Kelly Deniro passed a through ball that sent senior forward Rachel Phillip into a foot race with Bowling Green keeper Becca Ison.

Phillip was able to beat Ison by just a step to send a shot over the diving keeper and into the net for what would become the game-winning goal. The goal was scored with just 10 minutes to play in regulation. The goal was Phillip’s third of the season and put her in a tie with junior forward Ashley Hughes for total goals scored on the season.

The win put the Zips in first place in the MAC East on Friday night.

“Everyone has two to four wins in our conference,” Akron Head Coach Pfau said. “It’s a conference with one or two wins you go from last place to a forth or fifth seed.”

With momentum, Akron welcomed Miami to First Energy Stadium-Cub Cadet Field Sunday. On a rainy, slippery field, Miami was able to take the momentum of Akron away.

It was, like the Bowling Green match, a scoreless first half.

The second started with a hard shot by freshman forward Emily Hyde. Akron goalkeeper Jeny Wolbert had to dive to her right to get a hand on it. With her still lying on the ground after the play, Miami’s sophomore midfielder Kayla Zakrzewski was able to collect the rebound and simply push the ball into the back of the net, giving her squad a 1-0 lead.

With that, the flood gates opened.

Seven minutes after the first goal, Hyde came up with her own by way of a corner kick. The ball found its way through the hands of Wolbert and Hyde was there to finish.

Miami came up with the third and last of their goals with 33 minutes to play. Forward Katy Dollish found the ball and simply took a shot toward the left post that found the net.

After the game, Pfau seemed concerned about the weariness of his team.

“The concern is that we have never been in every game all season…we’re tired, we’ve had a long season,” Pfau said.

The Zips have three conference games remaining, and then up to three conference tournament games. Even if his team is tired, the season can still be considered young.

Akron’s loss Sunday pulled the team from first place down to third, where they stand-alone. Ohio (6-8-1, 4-3-1 MAC) moved ahead with their own win over Bowling Green. Kent State (10-6, 4-4-0 MAC) moved ahead to second.

Akron will have an opportunity to regain their lead when they continue their Mid-American East portion of the schedule at Kent State on Friday. The game is set to start at 4 p.m.