UA football coach fired sparking national search for replacement

By: Chris Coon

Illustration by Emily Poor

After a 2-22 overall record in two seasons at The University of Akron, Director of Athletics Tom Wistrcill announced Saturday that Rob Ianello will not return as head coach of the football team.

“Earlier today, I informed Coach Ianello that he has been relieved of his duties, effective immediately,” Wistrcill said. “In some areas, the program has made considerable progress under his leadership.  Unfortunately, the results on the field fell far short of our expectations. After a comprehensive evaluation, I have determined that our football program needs to move in a new direction.”

After losing their first three games this season at Ohio State, against Temple and at Cincinnati by a combined score of 152-19, the Zips defeated Virginia Military Institute, a school from the Division I-AA by a margin of 36-13. It would prove to be Ianello’s last win with Akron.

For the two seasons that Ianello spent at Akron, he was 1-15 in the Mid-American Conference, going 0-8 this season in the league.

Ianello fulfilled his contract of $375,000 per year for two out of the five years given to him, which ran through 2014. That figure was also broken down to a base salary of $300,000.

The remaining money on Ianello’s contract resulted in $50,000 for radio work, which was being made available to Akron radio broadcasts and the weekly show ‘Zips Live,” along with $25,000 in shoe and apparel agreements.

A national search for Ianello’s replacement will be conducted immediately, according to a press release issued by The University of Akron Athletics Department.