Women’s basketball drops two straight

By: Parker Perry

Without their two leading scorers, The University of Akron women’s basketball team (9-13, 3-5 MAC) had a rough week.

UA finished the week 0-2, losing to a less-than-impressive Northern Illinois (9-11, 3-5 MAC) squad 72-66, and being blown out by a good Eastern Michigan team (14-7, 6-2 MAC) 91-46.

Northern Illinois traveled to James A. Rhodes arena with a 1-5 Mid-American Conference record. They averaged in the lower tier in almost every offensive statistical category.

However, as Akron’s junior Rachel Tecca and sophomore Sina King found themselves sitting out due to injury, the Huskies of NIU were able to take advantage of the wounded Zips.

Akron jumped out to an early lead, but was unable to maintain it and found itself in a battle in the first half. The Zips were able to take an advantage into the locker, but by the slimmest margin, 29-27.

They were not so lucky in the second, as Northern Illinois outscored them 45-37 to win the game-running away.

The Zips’ leading scorer in the contest was forward Carly Young, but due to the absences of her teammates, Young was forced to play inside.

The Zips were not able to rebound when they traveled to Eastern Michigan three days later. The Zips were run out of the building early and quickly. At one point, Akron trailed 33-9, and posted a halftime score of 19-51.

The Zips will try to forget the dismal week and look to get back in the win column when they play Toledo (13-7, 6-2 MAC) on the road on Wednesday.

The Zips hope to get King back from injury before then, though it is uncertain how long she will be able to play after the extended break. Tecca will not return this season.

Akron is now in forth place in the MAC East division, and ninth overall.