Women's soccer wins second straight over Eastern Illinois, 2-0

By: Parker Perry

The Akron Zips were able to get their record back to .500 with a 2-0 win against Eastern Illinois over the weekend.

The Zips, who came into the contest with a 2-3 record, improved to 3-3 due to sophomore midfielder Kelly DeNiro and senior midfielder Rachel Phillip, who each scored one goal. Jenny Wolbert captured her second consecutive shutout and fourth overall.

The first UA goal came from DeNiro, who scored her first goal of the season after knocking the ball into the upper corner of the net from about 18 yards out in the 28th minute of the first half. The goal was unassisted and handed Akron an early 1-0 lead.

Though the Zips were able to continue their attack against Eastern Illinois, they were held off the scoreboard for the remainder of the half.

“I thought it was a good team effort,” Zips Head Coach Chris Pfau said. “I thought the first 20 minutes were sluggish. I didn’t think we were in rhythm and it took the team to get us out of it.”

After the break, the Zips continued to show pressure, which resulted in a goal from Phillip, who scored from inside 15 yards to double the lead. The Zips continued their pressure throughout the game. Wolbert only made two saves, as the Zips toyed with the ball for most of the match.

Pfau hopes that the tough non-conference schedule will help his team as they enter into their conference play.

“It was our hardest schedule we ever put together,” Pfau said. “We’re 3-3 and we’ve done some nice things and things we have to build on.”

The Zips will now prepare for their conference schedule. They will open against Central Michigan on Friday and will continue two days later against Eastern Michigan Sunday. The games will start at 7:30 p.m. and 1 p.m., respectively. Both matches will be played at First Energy Stadium-Cub Cadet Field.