MGK "Electrifies" MIA

Written by: Michael V Loftus
WrestleMania 28 hit Miami last Sunday like a Lightning Storm.  I was lucky enough to be one of the 78,363 fans in attendance, setting an all-time record at Sunlife Stadium. With a star studded list of performers including Mike Tyson, P.Diddy, Rick Flair and The Rock, WrestleMania 28 was nothing less than spectacular. In traditional WrestleMania fashion, the biggest names in music went head to head with the biggest names in sports and entertainment. This year, MGK shined his crown on the biggest stage of them all with his single “Invincible” alongside the lovely and talented Skylar Grey. This performance was one of two musical introductions for the main event of WrestleMania. MGK represented the underdog, John Cena, and Florida’s own hip hop sensation FLO-RIDA and Rhianna represented The Rock. With a year of media build up, no other main event could ever compare to Rock vs. Cena. What an opportunity for such a young star from our area.

Machine Gun Kelly, or Kells, has become the new “King” of Cleveland, a position left vacant by Akron native Lebron James. At only 21 years of age, I am personally proud of the young musician for representing Cleveland and all of Ohio on such a grand scale. While waiting for the performance to begin, I voiced my enthusiasm for the young East Cleveland rapper to the wrestling fans around me. To my surprise a young man from Philadelphia, Mike Bell, showed me a sleeve of tattoos on his right arm with the lyrics of an MGK hit entitled “End of The Road.” Bell, also 21 has been following the rapper since the beginning of his career in 2008. That’s when I finally grasped the magnitude of how big of a star Machine Gun Kelly has actually become. It’s great to see someone from our home influence so many others around the world. In a time where music and its messages are so critical I honestly believe that MGK is a very positive artist with songs denouncing negativity and hate and promoting love and perseverance. My daughter and I listen to “End of the Road” and not too many artists make it that far, not while I am still in control of what she listens to.

I am also proud to say once Kells hit the stage I erupted into a one man Cleveland Chant which I carried with steam for the good part of a minute. It was not the most popular chant in the home of the Miami Heat. Initially, this trip was intended for fun, but I could not put my camera or my pen down for the life of me. It only seemed fitting to bring the experience home to the University of Akron where I have honed many of my skills as a writer and a researcher. Although I’m a business major, I still have the opportunities and outlets here at UA to pursue my passions on a professional level while maintaining educational and real world career focus.