In support of Relay

Written by: Matthew Balsinger

I know many students on campus have heard of Relay For life, but many have never attended the event before. If those students were anything like me, they’ve never looked into the event nor thought they could really make a difference.  There are also many who might think that Relay For Life is just a big cheesy event, which is what I once believed.

At the beginning of the fall semester, a friend recommended that I come to a couple of the meetings and maybe I might learn more about the event. Curious, I went to the first meeting, and I’m speaking from personal experience when I say that I was utterly impressed with what I saw and felt. In fact, I chose to become involved.

The University of Akron’s Relay For Life is put on by many devoted and dedicated individuals who are truly out to do something good. These students organize events, information sessions and fundraisers all set around cancer awareness. More than that, this yearly event lends an opportunity to unite The University of Akron and the community behind one solitary purpose.

Though you may have been lucky enough thus far to not have encountered it, during the course of your life you are going to run into cancer. You may have a friend, family member, teacher who will become a victim, or even you may become inflicted with the disease. This is scary reality for many, which is why groups like the American Cancer Society host events such as Relay For Life, so that we can build a network and community of people who not only care, but also want to fight back.

You might believe that it is impossible for one person or even a small group of people to make a difference in the monumental task of defeating cancer, but you are wrong. Margaret Mead once said to “never underestimate the power of a small group of dedicated people to change the world. In fact, it is the only way it ever has.”

We may just be a small community of people with a little to give, but together our gifts and efforts become far greater; and in conjunction with people nationwide who believe as we do that we can change the world, that we can fight back against things such as cancer, we become almost unstoppable.

The most important thing we can do to each other is to help each other. By joining together in causes such as Relay For Life, we build a community and network of understanding and caring; and with that, we can change the world.