On-campus workshops aid in student success

By William SInger, News Editor

counseling-services-bannerThe University of Akron Counseling Center

The Counseling and Testing Center is offering several workshops this week to help students deal with the challenges that comes with college life.

The workshops cover a wide range of topics including Test Anxiety, Becoming a Gender and Sexual Minority Ally, and Overcoming Procrastination.

The center provided a workshop entitled “Mosaic: Women of Color,” which was designed to address the academic and life stressors of the college experience, specifically for women of color.

Even though these events are taking place near the beginning of the semester, Senior Director of the Counseling Center, Greg Robinson, believes that much of the semester is difficult for students.

“The entire semester is difficult for students,” said Robinson. “We probably start getting busy around this time of the year, but the middle of the semester when you start getting near the end is when students have their last round of tests. That’s also a really difficult time of the year.”

The Counseling and Testing Center offers services year-round, but Robinson explained that many students don’t know that they do.

“There’s a lot of people who get information about us early on when they come to college during orientations or during classes, but if the student doesn’t perceive a need for our services right off the bat, or early on, oftentime they forget that we’re here,” Robinson said.

The final workshop available to students, “Overcome Procrastination,” is in the Student Union on Thursday, Sept. 18 at 2 p.m. in Room 314.