Citizens lose their morality

“It seems in America that wherever you turn you can find a different reason for why we are in tough times in our society. Liberals say it’s George Bush’s fault, conservatives say it was liberal congressmen and you can count on a dozen more explanations if you ask the everyday passer-by on the street.”

It seems in America that wherever you turn you can find a different reason for why we are in tough times in our society. Liberals say it’s George Bush’s fault, conservatives say it was liberal congressmen and you can count on a dozen more explanations if you ask the everyday passer-by on the street. However, we have found out exactly how we put ourselves into the mess we’re in: the loss of the moral substance of the citizens of America. The following examples are evidence that this is the case.

The bailouts of the banks, first, and more recently GM and Chrysler have shown that private companies can make poor decisions and spend money in ways that are counterproductive and not have to accept the consequences of those actions. Secondly, the government has become so corrupt that they have now seen fit to perform theft on a federal level. They are taking money from my pocket and yours to give it to people who they have deemed proper to succeed.

Outside of economics, you can see on a daily basis how criminals are getting lighter and lighter prison sentences for serious offenses. The judicial system has become a babysitter rather than the impartial judge it was designed to be. Inmates on death row are enjoying cable TV and three meals a day for an average of 153 months between sentencing and execution, up from 51 months in 1983. If convicted criminals get punished at all, it is a slap on the wrist in relation to the crime they’ve committed.

Somehow in this country we’ve come to a point where we have taxpayer dollars funding abortions of unborn children. First off, how can we as a society condone the murder of innocent life? Proponents of abortion argue that there’s a right to privacy, but with that premise I could break every law in the book and, as long as it’s in the confines of my home, I could get away with it. Abortions are yet another way to get irresponsible people off the hook of living with the decisions they’ve made. And not only does the government allow this atrocity to occur, they are actually promoting it by allotting money for the specific purpose of aborting unborn children.

Lastly, thanks to Obama, we have a Treasury Secretary, Tim Geitner, who had successfully and knowingly evaded paying his taxes. This man is in charge of running the IRS and he hasn’t even paid taxes himself. Why should the rest of America be required to pay taxes when the man who is demanding our tax dollars refuses to pay his own? As a civil servant, his record should be squeaky-clean if he expects to govern the trillions of dollars that flow from tax revenue. If he is so bold as to lie about paying his taxes and then present himself to the American people as a worthy nominee to run the treasury, what else is he willing to do and cover up? Does he even have a conscience at all, or is he just playing politics like the rest of the people in Washington?

The media should be jumping at the fact that this man is a hypocrite and a liar to say the least. Instead they look away, stating Geitner is the only man that bring us out of this recession.

At this point in time we need politicians who are the spitting image of upstanding citizens. They should be the last ones whose motives are questioned.

We Americans, as individuals, need to realize that we cannot live beyond our means and expect to get away with it. We need to be dependable to uphold our word and deeds to one another, not beg for an exemption when we’ve made a mistake.

In emphasizing the morality of the individual, James Madison puts it best: We have staked the whole future of American civilization, not upon the power of government, far from it. We have staked the future of all of our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind of self-government; upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the 10 Commandments of God.