NPHC promotes community

By Maria Guess-Cousins

Maria Guess-Cousins

The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc. (NPHC) is compromised of nine international Greek letter fraternities and sororities also known as the “Divine Nine.” The University of Akron is home to seven of the nine organizations.

In contrast to other Greek organizations, the NPHC promotes lifetime commitment and service to the organization of which one belongs to. These organizations promote high scholarship, community involvement and high standards of its members.

Studies show that students who belong to Greek Organizations have a higher percentage of graduating college and pursuing higher education through graduate programs.

UA’s National Pan-Hellenic Council organizations can be found doing many community-based events. Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. hosts events to bring awareness to issues such as HIV-AIDS and teen pregnancy.

The organizations give back but also learn many life lessons and pick up many attributes that will contribute to success in future endeavors.

“While I was an undergrad, my organization has been a second family. The old teach the young about life. You get wisdom from the old while building lasting relationships with the young,” Jamar Flemming, the chaplin for Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., said.

Sarah Rhena, a UA student and member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., credits her organization for helping her become more confident, outgoing, social, professional, articulate and creative.

“It isn’t all about partying and strolling. There is work behind closed doors along with pressure and challenges to perform to your best ability while staying on top of your other life responsibilities,” Rhena said.

For students who are interested in joining an organization that is part of NPHC, members say it is beneficial to do research on the organization you are interested in. Once an organization is selected, it is also important to attend the events that the specific organization hosts to become more familiar with the organization and the people in it.

It is also important to maintain discretion. Lack of discretion can result in the denial of one’s request into the Intake Process.

“I have built life long relationship with the [people] I did my intake process with. People see it as a way of buying friends but it’s not,” Rhena said. “It’s about coming together as one due to common interest, and during that you build a relationship. We continue to uplift one another all the time; the support is amazing.”

For more information, visit the Office of Greek Life in the Student Union or go to uakron.edu/fsl/.