Appreciate your education and spare the frustration

“I am writing in response to the article Useless math classes sum it all up. I have worked as a math tutor for this university for over four years, and I completely disagree with this article. The requirements for most majors are not so strict, many ending with college algebra, which is the lowest non-remedial math the university offers.”

I am writing in response to the article Useless math classes sum it all up.

I have worked as a math tutor for this university for over four years, and I completely disagree with this article.

The requirements for most majors are not so strict, many ending with college algebra, which is the lowest non-remedial math the university offers.

People used to value being well-rounded individuals, believing that a little knowledge about a lot of things better fits them for life and any career they choose to pursue by broadening their understanding of the world around them.

We’ve lowered those standards, but we should not discard them. Our doctors, lawyers and teachers do gain knowledge in their areas of expertise.

Do you think a doctor, reading scientific journals doesn’t need to understand English and the math used to explain complex phenomena of the heart?

Do you think a lawyer needs no basis in psychology or biology, when he has no idea who he may be defending in the future or why?

Teachers, of all examples, are the best suited to realize that proficiency in one area of education can only enhance other areas.

If anyone believes they are being cheated out of tuition money by being required to take useless courses, then they must re-evaluate why they came to college in the first place.

Employers like college degrees, it is true. Do you think they will be more likely to hire you if you are less well-rounded than another graduate with the same basic skills?

I value being a well-rounded student, and believe the university standards for such are not that high. It’s a shame that we are valuing it less and less.