Senate candidate stops by UA

” The first woman to serve Ohio as secretary of state spoke at the University of Akron’s Martin Center Thursday on behalf of the Akron Press Club. Among other things, Jennifer Brunner has served as a Franklin County Common Pleas Court Judge and was awarded the John F.”

The first woman to serve Ohio as secretary of state spoke at the University of Akron’s Martin Center Thursday on behalf of the Akron Press Club.

Among other things, Jennifer Brunner has served as a Franklin County Common Pleas Court Judge and was awarded the John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award.

Brunner approached the podium as the audience members finished their lunches.

I like to get things done, she told the audience.

She said that she believes it is a normal tendency for people to think change will happen without their individual participation in it.

We have a lot of ingrained ideas that will eventually have to change, she said.

Brunner explained that, as secretary of state, she traveled a lot and had the opportunity to meet and talk to many people in their own environments.

I have come to the conclusion that we live in a wonderful state, she said of Ohio.

It’s not only beautiful geographically, but we have very special people in the state of Ohio.

She also mentioned its diversity, noting that she grew up in a largely agricultural part of the state.

When I come to Akron, I am constantly amazed by the innovation, Brunner said.

People like the convenience of a city, but they also like small town values. A medium-size city allows that to happen, she said of Akron.

She said that Akron’s strong partnership between city and county officials gives the city the ability to roll with some of the economic punches.

She explained that, over time, the pieces and parts for a clean economy have been starting to come together in Ohio.

Brunner said that while she enjoyed being a judge, it didn’t allow her to express her own political opinions.

When you’re a judge, you really can’t say too much one way or the other about strong feelings that you may have about something because it could actually affect the perception of the people that come in front of you about how objective you would be, she said.

She said that as a hopeful senate contender, she wants to make the kind of change that ultimately improves peoples’ lives.

I look forward to a very spirited campaign.

In Ohio, we really like underdogs, Brunner said.

I’m probably really not an underdog in this race, but if that’s the way some people want to view it, I’d gladly take on that title.

She then explained to the audience an e-mail that was recently sent out from her dog.

Brunner said that she adopted a rescue dog and, in the e-mail, related what her dog went through before being adopted to what Ohioans are currently going through.

She admitted that it may have been considered unsenatorial, but added with a chuckle that she is very pragmatic.

Before wrapping up her speech and taking questions, Brunner commented on a group of people she recently spoke with.

Last night, I was speaking to a very large group of Ohio State University young democrats and I was really struck and very pleasantly amazed at the intensity, depth and knowledge of the questions, she said.

She believes the paper ballot system of voting is the best.

She thinks there is a limited number of machines, causing longer lines. She also noted that the machines are subject to break down, unlike the paper ballots.

One man raised his hand for the microphone to inform Brunner of the faith he has in her.

It’s very obvious that you’re doing a very great job being secretary of state. Keep gong; you’re doing the right thing, he said, as the audience members smiled and nodded their head

Brunner thanked him and continued answering questions.

What I’ve learned over time is, whether you’re trying to fight poverty or whether you’re trying to grow businesses and jobs in the area, it’s not just about money, it’s about people, she said.

Brunner explained that since being a judge, she has found that if, as an elected official, someone decides to do what they think is right, even if it means they might not get elected, they usually end up getting elected.

Really, what people want is someone who will be square with them … who will have enough courage to tell the truth, even though they know that not everybody may agree with them. At least the voters will know what they see is what they get, she said.