Soccer claims MAC title

The team after winning the MAC title for the 11th time in school history.

GoZips

By Forrest Dukes, Sports Editor

The Zips (13-6-1) earned their third consecutive and 11th overall MAC title Sunday with a win over the Falcons of Bowling Green State University 2-1.

Semi Finals:

The Broncos played a defence-minded, looking to limit shots from Akron. WMU’s Cam Jensen scored in the 55th minute of play.

The Zips never quit and, in the last 20 minutes, they were saved by a penalty kick from Adam Najem in the 71st minute. This is Najems’ 12th goal of the season. Minutes later, the Broncos made the mistake of fouling an Akron player in the box. This time Clint Caso kicked the ball into the corner of the net and past Shepherd for the game winner.

As the end of the game, Akron had 10 shots, three on goal, seven corners and Jake Fenlason had one save on the Broncos five shots.

“It was a playoff game: intense, physical, doesn’t always go as planned. You just have to find a way through it. I thought for the most part we were pretty good. We only made a couple of mistakes. But we didn’t give them much. It was about us being patient and sticking to it and just keep pushing,” Akron head coach, Jared Embick, said after the game.

Finals:

BGSU came into this game looking to claim their first MAC title since the 2006 season. After one half both teams were tied at zero. Akron showed its attacking abilities with 13 shots and seven corners in the first. Nick Landsberger was under constant pressure and saved five shots during the first half.

The Falcons’ balance paid off in the second half. As they received a free kick in the 67th minute that lead a goal from Jacob Roth. The Zips received a penalty kick when Caso was tackled hard. Najem scored his 13th goal of the season.

The Zips took the lead late in the game thanks to an assist from Saad Abdul Salaam and the goal scored from Anthony Macchione.

“This is where we have to use our experience from last year, be confident and see who we have to match-up. It’s just about getting these guys ready. It’s all about playing our game anyway, so we’re going to play Akron soccer, and if we play well, we’ll beat anybody.” Embick said after winning the title.

After the tournament, the MAC named four Zips with All-tournament honors. They were; Caso, Najem, Sam Gainford, and sophomore midfielder Victor Souto.

The Zips will travel to The Ohio State University in the NCAA first Round of the College Cup on, Thursday, Nov. 20. If you want to go and cheer on your Zips contact the Ak-Rowdies to be a part of their bus trip to Columbus, Ohio before Tuesday, Nov. 18 to reserve a seat.