UA student named ‘New Face of Civil Engineering’

By Nick Jordan, Writer

The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) has just named Andrew Kustec, a junior at UA, as one of their 10 “New Faces of Civil Engineering” in their collegiate edition.

ASCE’s list is a way to recognize the achievements of students through academics, volunteerism, and the student’s dedication to making a positive impact on society through their chosen profession.

This year’s class of “New Faces” had a diversified range of students, from Penn State to The Florida Institute of Technology, to Texas A&M and from as far away as the Birla Institute of Technology in India.

An achievement like this doesn’t just get handed out; hard work, innovation, and above all selflessness go into becoming an esteemed member as a “New Face of Civil Engineering.”

Kustec ventured to New York City in an effort to help rebuild homes for those that had been lost during Hurricane Sandy.

“I had learned the meaning of integrity and what it meant to serve others,” said Kustec referring to his time volunteering. “The attitude of selflessness is something I will take to work for the rest of my life.”

Kustec is also a member of the Concrete Canoe design team, Steel Bridge team, Habit for Humanity, and is on the leadership team for UA Students for life.

“I am excited to see how the field will become more innovative,” Kustec said in regards to the field of Civil Engineering. “In an age where everything is crumbling around us, civil engineers have a golden opportunity to reinvent infrastructure.”