Day of the Dead at UA

By Arden Palmquist, Arts & Life Editor

Yesterday, UA’s faculty-led Mesa Hispana set up a table in the Student Union yesterday to share with students the culture around “The Day of the Dead.”

On Nov. 1 and Nov. 2, this Mexican holiday is held in honor for loved ones who have passed away. The first day is for the children who have passed and the second day for the elders that have passed.

UA Spanish professor Atziri Sedano Muzquiz, who helped organize the event, explained what each element on the table meant for the holiday.

On display were candles, sugar skulls, food, and a variety of bright colors. When it comes to this holiday, it is believed that the spirits of lost loved ones need the candles to find their way back to the families. The sugar skulls are painted with bright colors and the name of the passed on it. This is a symbol for those who are living and who have passed.

An arrangement of fruit was spread around the table for the dead so that when they return there will be food and, of course, water. Lastly, bright colors are around to brightly welcome them home.

About the Writer
Arden Palmquist, Arts & Life Editor

330-972-7362

arts-editor@buchtelite.com

Mass Media Communications major