‘Public Spaces, Early Learning Internship’ Open for Students

This paid internship gives students a chance to give back to the community while developing skills for future careers.

(Image via ©2020 JCURET PHOTOGRAPHY)

Interns working at the Exchange House along with volunteers during the summer of 2019.

By LeKesha Parkman, Special Editions Editor

For a second year, ArtsNowSummit Education InitiativeFirst Serve and The Experiential Learning (EXL) Center will work with four interns to develop installations in the North Hill neighborhood to support children’s education.

The paid internship, “Public Spaces and Early Learning” is primarily geared towards candidates from education, engineering, arts administration and other fields related to the project.

Julian Curet, graduate assistant in the
Myers School of Art Emily Davis Gallery and master’s candidate in arts administration, encourages students to apply as they will be “working with others across disciplines in the ‘real world’ field.”

Curet said the “experience allows students to add to their network of professionals and flex their creative muscles, all while getting paid.”

(Image via ©2020 JCURET PHOTOGRAPHY)
A close up of work from the 2019 Exchange House project.

Interns will rely heavily on design, project management, creative thinking, volunteer coordination, civic engagement, community outreach and networking skills.   

Tessa Gaffney, a master’s candidate in arts Administration, worked with the program last year.

Gaffney said she found her internship to be extremely beneficial to her future career goals. 

Through the program, Gaffney was afforded the opportunity to meet
Kathy Hirsh-Pasek, a nationally recognized speaker and early childhood expert.

Gaffney detailed her experience in the ArtsNow internship and was published on
Americans for the Arts’ blog.

According to Gaffney, students can work with the community and give back in the spirit of service.

A gallery of some of the work at the 
Exchange House last summer is available online at https://jcuretphotography.lightfolio.com/gallery/first-serve-2019 

Students can apply for the internship through Handshake at
https://app.joinhandshake.com/jobs/3579876.

Any questions regarding the internship can be directed to ArtsNow Executive Director Nicole Mullet by email at
[email protected].