Applications open for Akron’s 2024 Alternative Spring Break

Trips to Washington, D.C and Winder, Georgia are available to interested students.
Alternative Spring Break 2023 volunteers in Washington, D.C. Courtesy of Natalie Mowad.

If you are a student at The University of Akron who is interested in traveling, volunteering and giving back to communities in need, then Akron’s 2024 Alternative Spring Break could be the perfect opportunity for you. Alternative Spring Break trips want to bring educational opportunities and volunteer work to students. During these trips, groups of up to 40-45 students will visit and partake in service opportunities at one of two locations in the United States organized through serveAkron. Applications are available and are due Oct. 20, by 5 p.m. 

Alternative Spring Break 2023 volunteers at the Ronald McDonald House. Courtesy of Natalie Mowad.

Two, five-day trips will be offered to students the week of March 23-29, 2024. The first trip, offered by the Office of Civic Engagement and Leadership Programs, will take place in Washington, D.C. Students that visit Washington, D.C will have the opportunity to volunteer at Little Lights, an educational center that helps low-income students by pairing them with a tutor that can assist them with their studies, help build social skills, and set up students for a successful future. University of Akron students will volunteer at Little Light’s after-school program and serve in these roles. The second spring break trip will take in Winder, Georgia, and is offered to students who are members of Fraternity and Sorority Life. Students will have the opportunity to work at Camp Twin Lakes and partake in activities such as event planning and coordinating with Twin Lakes counselors on projects around the campsite.  

Akron’s Alternative Spring Break trips can provide students with an opportunity to collaborate with individuals from different parts of the United States. Participants will gain service experience and leadership positions. Natalie Mowad, a University of Akron alumni, participated in Akron’s Alternative Spring Break in 2023, and traveled to Washington, D.C. Natalie and other students volunteered at the Ronald McDonald House and Little Lights, participating in their after-school program helping low-income students.  

“What we learned at Little Lights could be applied to any other community, especially in the Akron area,” explained Mowad. “We got to travel to a different community, learn about the struggles and issues that they have going on, and engage with those people in hopes of giving back to them.”  

Serving a community, stepping out of your comfort zone and committing to volunteering are at the forefront of Akron’s mission.  

Apply to either trip using the following link:

https://uakron.presence.io/form/alternative-spring-break-2024.  

Students will be required to attend two training courses before their trip to become informed of trip policies and guidelines. For more questions, contact Corie Steinke, assistant director for civic engagement and leadership programs at [email protected]