Respecting those in the service — the food service

Frequent dining out is a lifestyle for some, and yet it takes a special occasion to get others into a restaurant. Eating out is especially common for college students.  

Regardless of which category you fit, the main goal is to satisfy hunger and to be waited on without lifting a finger while depending on your server or waiter. So how much credit does the server really take?

Good servers are not just order takers. They are there to assist you and other guests on food and drink choices, keep the place stocked and clean and to have friendly conversations with each table, making sure you have everything you need for a satisfying meal and overall enjoyable dining experience.

Personality, pride and patience make both a great server and a great guest, and both should be rewarded. As a guest, you simply ask and receive; there can’t be anything greater than that. As a server, is your reward a nice compliment or is it the tip? Yes, both are sure to make a happy server, but compliments won’t pay bills.

Many people are seen getting out their tip calculators or doing the math in their head, but how much is enough to tip? When asked about what influences the amount they tip, several people said it depended on how prompt the server was, and the attitude of the server. But what they didn’t know was those two things also reflect on them.

If you come in as a guest and have a positive attitude and a smile, it for sure is contagious. And take a look around; if you see that the restaurant is busy and you see servers running from table to table, have a little patience. Being polite and considerate make the dining experience better for everyone. After all, everyone around you wants the same thing — an enjoyable meal.

Server minimum wage is $3.65 an hour, so they really depend on the tips they receive. When tipping a server, you should look at the total amount of the bill and leave anywhere from 18-20 percent.

That goes for separate checks as well. Each individual should leave the appropriate tip. You should not divide the tip as in, you leave 10 percent and I’ll leave another 10 percent on my bill.

Coupons are great and do help save money, but you always want to tip on the amount before the discount. Service doesn’t decrease if a discount was given. If you are on a budget, and you want to eat out, don’t forget to average in a tip beforehand.

At the end of the night, most servers have to tip out to others — bussers and bartenders — and some have to pay credit card fees, all of which cut into what they take home at the end of their shift.

So the next time you go out to eat, smile, be patient and tip your server accordingly. Appreciate the fact that you didn’t have to shop for, cook or clean up after a great meal.