Zips fall to falcons

” On Friday the Zips battled against Bowling Green in the last home series of the season. While it was chilly for fans, starting pitcher Tom Farmer brought the heat to Falcons hitters. Unfortunately, that heat was just outside of the strike zone. Farmer replaced Zack Yike in the normal pitching rotation for this game.”

On Friday the Zips battled against Bowling Green in the last home series of the season.

While it was chilly for fans, starting pitcher Tom Farmer brought the heat to Falcons hitters.

Unfortunately, that heat was just outside of the strike zone.

Farmer replaced Zack Yike in the normal pitching rotation for this game. A decision, head coach Pat Bangtson said, was something he was looking to do.

Tom’s a junior, he’s been here, Bangtson said after the game. He’s a starter, and this was the plan all along, to possibly put him in the starting rotation by the end of the year.

Farmer, who tore his labrum at the end of his sophomore year, pitched for 5.2 innings and gave up seven runs before being replaced by left-handed sophomore Zach Yike.

Yike pitched for a total of 2.1 innings and was the only pitcher to not give up any runs for the day.

While the defense may have struggled, the offense found it a bit easier. The Zips trailed all the way ’til the bottom of the eighth inning when they loaded the bases twice, allowing Akron to creep up behind the Falcons. Drew Turocy scored to tie the game at 7.

That was the score well into the 11th inning when the Falcons blew the door wide open, scoring five funs. The Zips struggled to come back but were unsuccessful.

We gave ourselves the chance to win the ballgame, Bangtson said. We just didn’t get the hit.

This game was important in that it could affect the team’s chances at getting into the MAC tournament next week although the loss does not knock them out of the running for the wild-card spot. However, to get in, they need to win Saturday and hope for a few other teams to lose.

According to Bangtson, this is the first time this team has been playing in the last week of the season for their spot in the tournament.