Longer hours needed for Science and Technology Library

” In 2009, Akron has showed its dominance in the MAC conference in a number of different ways. This year, our basketball team danced all the way into the NCAA bracket. Our soccer team showed up in a big way too, making it all the way to the national playoffs with a high ranking.”

In 2009, Akron has showed its dominance in the MAC conference in a number of different ways. This year, our basketball team danced all the way into the NCAA bracket. Our soccer team showed up in a big way too, making it all the way to the national playoffs with a high ranking. One aspect of Akron that fails to measure up to other schools in the MAC is the quality of the libraries on campus. When ranking all MAC schools based on what time the library closes, our Science and Technology library is the dead last loser.

Every single school in the MAC offers longer hours at their study facility including Kent State which keeps their doors open every night until 3 a.m., four hours later than our Science and Technology Library.

Akron may be winning championships in sports this year, but what about academics? Shouldn’t we be striving for greatness and surpassing our competition in every aspect of our establishment?

If Akron is serious about becoming the most prestigious and prosperous university in the MAC, this should be changed. At the very least, each of the libraries on our campus should provide expanded hours during finals week like every other library in the MAC.

The Science and Technology Library at the University of Akron is a fantastic resource for students who are serious about getting their work done in a productive environment. A select group of those students would like to see this library available for extended hours, but a larger constituency would benefit from extended library hours during the all important finals week.

A later closing time for the library would prove be an advantage for many patrons who wish to utilize any time later than 11 a.m. The time when this is especially evident is during finals week when many students have a large amount of course material that needs to be covered in a short period of time. This amount of coursework cannot always be accomplished between the normal business hours and many students would benefit from a special week of extended library hours.

How many nights have you spent in the Science and Technology library cramming for a huge test when the silence is broken by the PA? It is 11 o’clock and the library is now closing, blares the speaker. One thought goes through every student’s mind when they hear that final announcement: Now where am I going to go?

A student is left with but a scant few options for late night studying on campus. The university buildings have a fairly common close time. After those library doors close, the option for on campus studying closes as well. In fact, the library is the ideal location to avoid distractions and complete the required coursework in a timely manner.

We are the customer in this relationship and we have a demand for extended finals week operation. Any good client would recognize that demand and adjust their operating hours accordingly. The Akron Science and Technology library should be no different.