Students live united, advance the common good during spring break

“Altruistically pounding nails and selflessly using power tools is how the University of Akron chapter of Student United Way will be spending their spring break. The group is going to St. Bernard Parish, La. near New Orleans, to help build houses along the Gulf Coast.”

Altruistically pounding nails and selflessly using power tools is how the University of Akron chapter of Student United Way will be spending their spring break. The group is going to St. Bernard Parish, La. near New Orleans, to help build houses along the Gulf Coast.

The small group of students will drive to Louisiana on March 13 and assist in the National United Way Alternative Spring Break trip until March 20.

The groups will build affordable local housing for local residents.

Different universities’ Student United Way groups will work at the Student United Way Alternative Spring Break.

Every year the group has an alternative spring break that the chapters participate in.

Student United Way is a new student organization at the University of Akron. Their mission as an organization is to serve the local community by giving, advocating and volunteering in education, income and health.

Student United Way is open to all University of Akron students.

The organization has monthly meetings. The next meeting is March 23 from 4 p.m to 5 p.m. in Student Union Room 323. They will discuss a few of their upcoming events including spring volunteer events, the alternative spring break trip and Nintendo Nite where students can play classic Nintendo games while winning prizes and eating food.

The Student United Way is currently looking for a volunteer with computer technology and Web site building skills to create, maintain and update a professional and functional Web site. The individual should have adequate time to put forth maintenance and dedication to represent the organization. Their current Web site is temporary and only accessible by Internet Explorer.

If you are interested in volunteering your time and gaining worthwhile experience, contact the President of the Student United Way Colleen Plank at [email protected] or (330) 472-1109.

Anyone who is interested in more information regarding Student United Way or United Way’s Alternative Spring Break can contact the group’s advisor Brian Duchon at [email protected].