Akron Eating Disorder Center Takes a Stand

Akron, OHIO– May, 2011- With spring here and summer around the corner, its bathing suit season. The diets have already started and eating disorders are beginning to show up around the country.

When most of us think of eating disorders, we think anorexia and bulimia but there is another eating disorder that affects up to 2 million people in the United States today and is just as dangerous, binge eating.

Although society seems to believe that binge/emotional eating is not a disease…a local eating disorder treatment center disagrees. New Beginnings Eating Disorders Center in Akron wants people to understand that binge eating/emotional eating is a real eating disorder just like bulimia and anorexia and there are places sufferers can go for help.

New Beginnings Eating Disorders Center in Akron is launching a new 6 week outpatient program specifically for Emotional/Binge eaters at the end of May. This program will be one of the first of its kind in the Akron area.

The six-week program will include understanding mindful eating and how to implement mindful eating techniques, emotion regulation skills, distress tolerance skills, changing life patterns, and coping with unexpected stressors/triggers.

People interested in the program can call New Beginnings at 330-666-5004 and will receive a free 35 minute consultation.

The Eating Disorder Center is also launching a free support group at the end of May for Emotional/Binge Eaters. The center will host the group the 2nd and 4th Thursday of each Month starting on May 26 from 6:30pm-8:00pm. The group is open to men and women over the age of 18. The outpatient program and support group will be run by University of Akron Graduate student, Antoinette Nethery.

New Beginnings treats people with all types of eating disorders, including binge/emotional eating. They currently diagnose binge eaters with Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified but are looking forward to the 2013 release of the new DSM V, which will list binge eating as its own eating disorder.

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) is published by the American Psychiatric Association and provides a common language and standard criteria for the classification of mental disorders. It is used in the United States and in varying degrees around the world, by clinicians, researchers, psychiatric drug regulation agencies, health insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, and policy makers.

New Beginnings Eating Disorder Center is in a special partnership with Akron General and is owned by Carolyn Pickler, PCC-S, who has been treating Eating Disorders for over 15 years. The center specializes in the treatment of eating disorders in adults and also offers an adult Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP), individual counseling and support groups. New Beginnings accepts insurance and offers a free 35 minute consultation. For more information check out http://www.newbeginningscounseling.org/.