Madita, Wrongkong are real thrillers

“This regular feature will review new songs available on the iTunes music store. The songs are chosen only from the new releases, not necessarily new singles heard on the radio. Madita Better Brother This poppy song is very upbeat, from its simple opening and just the slightest hint of Mexican flavor, to its near orchestral coda.”

This regular feature will review new songs available on the iTunes music store. The songs are chosen only from the new releases, not necessarily new singles heard on the radio.

Madita
Better Brother

This poppy song is very upbeat, from its simple opening and just the slightest hint of Mexican flavor, to its near orchestral coda.

The Austrian singer has a great voice, though at points her gasps drag the song down.

She has great range, and her English is near-perfect.

At no point do the lyrics become incomprehensible, and the mix of chorus, verse and bridge make the song very enjoyable.

Madita’s third release contains thirteen tracks.

Her other works include her self-titled debut album, and a single titled Unspoken.

Michael Jackson
Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’ 2008 (With Akon)

Twenty-five years after the release of the biggest-selling album, Michael Jackson has re-released one of his hit tracks off Thriller, remixed and featuring the vocal talents of Akon.

It is refreshing that this song was not merely a cover of the original, but the new work and Akon’s talents could not make this song great.

Heavy with piano and synthetic percussion, the song has none of the passion that the original had.

It is slower and gentler, and lacks the sound that made Thriller one of the 80’s best albums.

Unless someone enjoys Akon, or collects everything Michael Jackson, this song is not worth the download.

Michael Jackson has sixteen album releases, including the new Thriller 25 where this single appears, and he is one of the highest grossing entertainers of all time. Akon has two album releases, Trouble and Konvicted.

Wrongkong
Ooh Good

The band Garbage with a lighter voice and less emo lyrics, is what Wrongkong’s single Ooh Good can be considered.

As though Shirely Manson’s band was their only influence, it’s hard to distinguish between either band in sound, but the quality of Wrongkong’s song does not allow it to be a ripoff of the other band.

The music, outside the comparison to Garbage, is a bit more experimental and alternative.

The German band’s debut album differs far from Garbage, however, with some gothic, techno and dance, even the alternative-mixed-Beetles’ sound of the track Better.

The song Ooh Good is worth the purchase for those who enjoy late 90’s alternative post-grunge.

Madita
Better Brother
4 stars

Michael Jackson
2 stars

Wrongkong
Ooh Good
4 stars